Thoughts on Graduating

The reality of graduation has not sunk in, even though it’s only a few short weeks away. As I rush to the finish line of completing final assignments, evaluations, and wrapping up loose ends, I still cannot comprehend that this phase of my life is ending soon. While I will welcome a reprieve from reading, papers, and projects, I will miss many things about my time spent at USD.
I remember my orientation in 2011 and it scares me how quickly two years can fly by. For the first time in my life since kindergarten, I will no longer be a student. This shift in my identity frightens and excites me at the same time. I have no idea what I will do with all of my free time as so many people have asked me. I’m sure I will find ways to be unproductive and procrastinate, much like I do now. But, I also welcome the time to find myself and develop more hobbies and interests. Like many soon-to-be graduates, I don’t know what I’m doing career-wise. I’ve taken on a position as the director of a summer program up in Orange County. But, come August, who knows? I would love a position working in a school. But, I’m not naïve to the sad realities of our current education system and how brutal it can be to job-seekers. I tell others that I’m open-minded and that I’m willing to be flexible. But, how open-minded and flexible am I really? I’m not sure.
Like many, I question if I’m willing to move, to leave my home state, my family, my friends, my life here. Do I settle for a job that doesn’t inspire me just because it’s a “foot in the door” somewhere? This period of questioning and doubt is terrifying. As laidback and Type-B as I may be, I still find myself laying awake at night thinking about my future, stressing about decisions I haven’t even had the chance to make. I would love to stay in San Diego, at least for a few more years. Within the past two years, I have developed such an appreciation and fondness for many parts of our beautiful city. I have formed connections outside of USD that I cherish, such as Big Brothers, Big Sisters and my kickball team. There are so many places that I haven’t had a chance to discover, restaurants I haven’t been able to try, and beaches I haven’t been able to explore. But, if it’s not in the cards for me, then I know something else will fall into place. I will miss the community of USD, especially SOLES. I love being a part of this service-minded, open-hearted community. I will miss the beautiful campus and the re-assuring nightly sunset views. Most of all, I will miss the people.
The friendships I’ve made will not end, but they will be altered and changed. No longer will we be anchored by this amazing program and beautiful school, but our friendships will be centered around our lives as young professionals, trying to find our own paths in this world. I’m not yet ready to leave, but I know that my time is up soon. The next few weeks will be a blur of presentations, job applications, dinners, ceremonies, and “last-time” outings. All I can do is enjoy the time while I have it and be thankful for what I’ve been blessed with.

0 thoughts on “Thoughts on Graduating

1. Great work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the net.
    Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!
    Come on over and visit my website . Thanks =)