Home Sweet Home!!

A blog post from SOLES Ambassador and MA in Counseling with specialization in School Counseling, Blanca Zuniga:
As I begin my second and last year at USD, I am full of appreciation and thanks for the experiences and opportunities I’ve had being a part of the SOLES community. I’ve had ample opportunity to grow both personally and professionally through travel, networking events, and friendships through and at SOLES. The close connections and relationships that I have been able to form with students and faculty is one of the many things that makes SOLES so unique.
I recall when I attended my first SOLES Open House. I was nervous because I was about to learn about a possible graduate program that I could potentially join. Being fresh out of undergrad, I felt like I was not ready for the journey that I was about to discover. At the same time, I was excited to discover what the grad school “talk” was all about.
As I drove around campus trying to find parking, I couldn’t help but look at the beautiful buildings and scenary that surrounded the school. I saw some students reading under the trees, while others sat on benches chatting with their friends. Being able to see a campus that valued nature and where students were comfortable being in, definitely provided me with a great first-impression.
Home
Following directions and reading the campus map was an ordeal, but getting turned around allowed me to explore the university. As soon as I arrived at Mother Rosalie Hill Hall, I instantly felt the warmth that was present in the room. The friendly staff, the welcoming student ambassadors, and the overall environment instantly made me feel welcome. Learning more about the benefits of the program and what they had to offer students was just what I needed to hear to confirm my desire to attend USD.
Every time you are in a new situation, you hope that things will turn out ok. You rarely expect that any new situation you experience will be one of the greatest you’ll ever have. I can honestly say however, that the SOLES Open House was one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had. SOLES has such a strong value for their students and they are willing to help in any way possible. Their interest in students’ education and the effort and time they put into building relationships is incomparable with anywhere else. If you are debating about whether you should apply to USD, please take the time to come visit us! Just like I found my home at USD, you can as well.
If you aren’t able to make it to our Fall Open House (Saturday, October 11th, 2014), come see us at our Spring Open House on January 24, 2015!