Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
SELL SEL! Students in SEL programs demonstrated significantly improved social and emotional skills, attitudes and behavior compared with students not in such programs.
A recent national survey of 1,140 teachers:
- 1 in 5 teachers reported that they felt fully prepared to teach social emotional learning.
- 37% received in-school professional development.
- 18% receive no training .
- Others reported informal training such as reading about SEL.
(S. Sparks, Education Week, 10-31-2018)
A 2011 study of over 270,000 students found that students who participated in an SEL programs showed academic gains of more than 11 percentile points over those who had not participated.
The Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL) has released a roadmap for re-opening schools. CASEL collaborated with over 40 leading organizations in developing 4 critical practices:
- Take time to cultivate and deepen relationships, build partnerships, and plan for SEL.
- Design opportunities where adults can connect, heal, and build their capacity to support students.
- Create safe, supportive, and equitable learning environments that promote all students’ social and emotional development.
- Use data as an opportunity to share power, deepen relationships, and continuously improve support for students, families, and staff.
Edward DeRoche, Ph.D.
Character Education Resource Center, Director