The Balance of It All

A blog post from SOLES MA in Higher Education Leadership Ambassador, Kalena Michalec
In the midst of the semester, it can be hard to find life balance. Between the hundreds of pages of reading, assignments, assistantship/jobs, “doing” my action research, maintaining a semi-healthy lifestyle, and trying to keep my personal life, it is very exhausting. Let me tell you, I was not prepared for my first semester. I let things slip, picked up a burrito, ran late to a meeting, napped instead of going to the gym… It was difficult to find my flow and if you are feeling this way, you are not alone!
Eventually, I found a rhythm that worked for me and got my groove going. The best tips I have for doing this are:
1.     Use Google calendar or a planner to schedule all meetings, assignments, classes, appointments, etc. along with scheduling time for self-care.
2.     Do NOT let your personal enjoyments be forgotten. Prioritize each week at least one thing that brings you joy. This has been my key to maintaining my energy to keep going.
3.     Do not overcommit/know how much you can do. Be realistic with yourself and say no when you need to! It is okay.
4.     Check-in with your peers/family/friends and do not forget about everyone while your head is crammed in a book. Stay in contact with those that keep you grounded.
5.     Have faith! You got this.