Becoming a Student Again

A blog post from SOLES Ambassador and MA in Counseling with specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Kimberly Macias:
I just started my second semester at USD in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program and I couldn’t be happier with my experience so far. iStock_000021029111SmallIt’s hard to imagine now that I almost didn’t go to graduate school, but it was a major possibility for me. You see I, like others I know, didn’t jump straight from undergraduate to graduate school; instead I took a few years off and worked. My job path was a promising one. But I had always told myself that I wanted to continue my education and just needed a little break. But as the years went by, I found that it was hard to get myself to apply for graduate programs. Looking back now I realize it was because I was comfortable were I was at career wise and was afraid of the unknown that came with quitting and getting back to school.
work-experience-before-grad-schoolLuckily, I remembered my promise to myself and got motivated to apply for programs in counseling. However I felt nervous still about the prospect of going back to school. I was worried about going back to school and needing to study again. All through the interview process and even after I accepted the offer here at USD I was worried about whether or not I was making a mistake. I didn’t know if I had what it takes to go back to school. I am sure that many who start graduate school, even start straight from undergraduate, feel daunted at the prospect, but there was also some excitement as well.
Now, after completing my first semester I am so glad I took the leap and went back to school to get my masters. At first it was strange having to study and taking classes again after so long working, but I know I made the right choice. I am looking forward to the rest of my time here at SOLES in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program to reach my educational and career goals.

0 thoughts on “Becoming a Student Again

1. Pingback: Juggling a Newborn While in Graduate School | SOLES Admissions and Outreach