New Year, "New" Me

People always say, “new year, new you” but I don’t think it’s about becoming a “new me” verses making improvements and setting exciting goals.  The number one news year’s resolution always seems to be, I want to lose weight and get in shape.  How about… I want to feel great inside and out and challenge myself.  There is so much emphasis on image that this year I am trying to personally make a conscious effort to resolute towards a more positive and healthy me, and embark on new challenges.  I have already set out for my biggest challenge in that I will be running the 2014 Boston Marathon.
The Marathon this year will be a once in a lifetime event and I have received the opportunity to run for the Joe Andruzzi Foundation.  Joe Andruzzi, a former NFL player, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s Burkitt’s lymphoma, predicted to double in size in just 24 hours. He and his family relocated back to New England where Andruzzi had an aggressive form of chemotherapy treatment over three months at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.  Though Andruzzi has beaten his cancer, he mourned the loss of a young boy who was also diagnosed, that the Andruzzi family was very close with.
On the upside of this story, in exchange of having the privilege of running for the Foundation, I am raising funds for their brain cancer research program at the Children’s Hospital in Boston.  100% of funds raised will go directly to cancer care where financial and emotional help is provided to patients and their families.  April 21, 2014 will be a day of healing for a city torn apart last year.  I am so grateful to have this opportunity to run and raise money for such a worthy cause.
I have certainly hit the ground running in my training and fundraising.  I am nervous as this is my first full marathon, but I have never felt so much support from friends and family, and nothing has excited me more than running for a city that feels like home to me and being part of this one in a life time opportunity.  If you would like to join me in making strides and supporting this Foundation, any contribution towards my fundraising is warmly welcomed.
http://www.crowdrise.com/jaf2014bostonmarathon/fundraiser/kristenmicho
I look forward to sharing my post- 26.2 mile journey from Hopkinton, MA to downtown Boston’s Copley Square!