San Diego has seasons! Sort of…

Fall in San Diego is nothing short of spectacular.   The summer crowds have thinned and temperate, sunny days are followed by clear, crisp nights.  Throw a couple of rainstorms into the mix and it’s downright stunning.  It is also the time of year where “Santa Ana” winds can occur: these are the dry, northeasterly winds that create both beautiful sunsets and also exceptional surfing conditions.  The only downside is that we are approaching the time of year when it will get dark at 5pm.  Oh well, I guess that means I will have more time to devote to my studies and work.

[slideshow]

Speaking of work…I am a Graduate Assistant in USD’s Center for Health and Wellness Promotion (CHWP) and our office recently partnered up with RADD (The Entertainment Industry’s Voice for Road Safety) to host an event called “Cash Cab” during National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week.

RADD Cash Cab flyer for USD Students presented by the Center for Health and Wellness Promotion

Basically, it’s a mock version of the TV show, “Cash Cab” with modified questions  that focus on college students’ knowledge of alcohol facts, safety, and awareness.  I sat in the front seat of the RADD car while students teamed up and sat in the backseat.  I asked 5 alcohol related questions and they received a variety of prizes at our table just outside of the car, including $20 cab vouchers, knitted hats, and other goodies, depending on the amount of questions they got right.  They also wrote a pledge on how they will make smart choices regarding their use (or non-use) of alcohol.
It’s a great feeling to know that by working in college health and wellness, I provide an opportunity for students to learn new information and also to reinforce their commitment to live healthy lifestyles.

For more information on USD’s Center for Health and Wellness Promotion (CHWP), follow the link.