A Room of One’s Own Paper Reflection [Andrew Felix]

In A Room of One’s Own, Virginia Woolf writes that a woman must have money and a room to be able to write a piece of fiction. For me personally, I also need a room with silence and no distractions. I am not able to focus if there are other people in the room in which I am writing, so doing work at Starbucks or Panera does not work for me. Electronics must be turned off; I get easily distracted by my phone or television. Some people like listening to music while writing, but unless it’s instrumental music, I will not be able to focus with my earbuds in. Unlike Woolf, I do not need money in order to write; I can just open up my computer or notebook and start brainstorming ideas. Besides silence, solitude, and electronics, sleep is key. If I am tired, I will not even think of starting to write. I need a good sleep and energy to be able to write successfully. For this paper in particular, I am going to have to re-read A Room of One’s Own so that I can fully grasp the themes, which will make it easier for me to outline. My goal for this first draft is to write along the guidelines and rubric; the grammatical errors can be fixed later on. I want to make my paper flow and transition well while constructing a strong thesis statement. With the help of Dr. Evans and fellow students, I can keep changing and making my paper the best it can possibly be. For now, I want to focus on the content, structure, word count, and understanding of the book.

One thought on “A Room of One’s Own Paper Reflection [Andrew Felix]

1. This is good ! My only suggestion would be to focus a little more on the text, as opposed to just your personal experience and requirement. You did address it in the beginning, so maybe just expand a little more. WHY does Woolf outline these two requirements? WHY does she say there is a need for £500 and a room of one’s own ?