Sentence of the Day

“Algún día en cualquier parte, en cualquier lugar indefectiblemente te encontrarás a ti mismo, y ésa, sólo ésa, puede ser la más feliz o la más amarga de tus horas.”
Translation: “Someday, somewhere – anywhere, unfailingly, you’ll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life.”
– Pablo Neruda, Confieso que he vivido / Memoirs (Alexa Ripa)

“It always seems impossible until it’s done”
–  Nelson Mandela, A Long Walk to Freedom (Isabel Corti)

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
– Winston Churchill (Makenzie Nickel)

“My mentality is that of a samurai. I would rather commit seppuku than fail.”
– Elon Musk (Ben Stephen)

“It is a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done before; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.”
– Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities (Kimia Mostafavi)

“I have dreamt in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me; like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.”
– Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë (Mariana Jones)

“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence and I don’t even know where it’s going.  I just hope I find it along the way”
– Steve Carrell (Perry Nesbet)

“There’s two ways you can see the world, you can see what you want, or you can see what’s standing in front of it… See the bagel.”
– Simon Sinek (Nico Dennis)

Image result for alan turing

“We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.”
– Alan Turing (Tom Hollerbach)

“Father, Father, we don’t need to escalate / you see, war is not the answer for only love can conquer hate.”
– Marvin Gaye “What’s Going On” (1971) (Andrew Felix)

“Just remember: If one bird carried every grain of sand, grain by grain, across the ocean, by the time he got them all on the other side, that would only be the beginning of eternity.”
– Truman Capote, In Cold Blood (Emilie Dawson)

“I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath.”
– Dante, 
Inferno XXXIV 

“When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.”
– Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man (Carla Aguirre)

Image result for sorcerer's stone dumbledore

“It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.”
– J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Shant Baghramian)

Image result for pitch black nmd

“Already I was beginning to realize that a spectacle has no meaning except it be seen through the glass of a culture, a civilization, a craft.”
– Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Kristian Arreola)

“To eat good food is to be close to God.”
– Primo (Big Night) (1996) Delancey Showers

“I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.”
– Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner (Kelly Wlodychak)

Image result for kate chopin

“She was becoming herself and daily casting aside that fictitious self which we assume like a garment with which to appear before the world.”
– Kate Chopin, “The Awakening” (Katie Vretzos)

“Y el verso cae al alma como al pasto el rocío.”
(Translation from Spanish to English)
“And the verse falls to the soul like dew to the pasture.”
– Pablo Neruda, Poem XX (Maria F. Marmolejo)

“There are all kinds of truth, your truth and somebody else’s, but behind all of them, there’s only one truth and that is that there’s no truth.”
– Paul Elie, The Life You Save May Be Your Own, p.203 (Emily Beck)

“Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose- a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye.”
– Mary Shelley, Frankenstein (Marren Abernathy)

“All distances in space and time are shrinking… yet the frantic abolition of all distances brings no nearness.”
– Martin Heidegger, Poetry, Language, and Thought (Kristian Arreola)

“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven out of hell, a hell out of heaven.”
– John Milton, Paradise Lost  (Emilie Dawson)

“It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.”
– F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (Makenzie Nickel)

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
– J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban (Katie Vretzos)

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under’t.”
– William Shakespeare, Macbeth 

Image result for animal farm laws revised

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
– George Orwell, Animal Farm (Isabel Corti)

“I’ve been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a prophet, a poet, a pawn, and a king. I’ve been up and down and over and out, and I know one thing: each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race.”
– Frank Sinatra, “That’s Life” (Andrew Felix)

“If there was hope, it must lie in the proles, because only there, in those swarming disregarded masses, eighty-five percent of the population of Oceania, could the force to destroy the Party ever be generated.”
– George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 7 (Kelly Wlodychak)

“Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.”
– Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven (Shant Baghramian)

Image result for dopamine

“For Parkinson’s patients on dopamine agonists, the surprising rewards of the casino triggers a massive release of chemical bliss.”
– Jonah Lehrer, How We Decide (Nico Dennis)

“That which is always and everywhere present is easily ignored. If we’re going to really attend to something that is always and everywhere present, it needs to be celebrated and noticed, somewhere, sometime.”
– Father Michael Himes, Boston College (Mari Jones)

“I begin to assemble what weapons I can find, ’cause sometimes to stay alive you gotta kill your mind.”
– Tyler Joseph, “Migraine”, Vessel  (Perry Nesbet)

“The more he breathed the land in, the more he was filled up with the details of the land. He was not empty. There was more than enough here to fill him. There would always be more than enough.”
– Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 (Kimia Mostafavi)

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”
– Winston Churchill (Carla Aguirre Puerto)

“Finally, Tyler gets to the essence of ideas he’s been chiseling at all along: the angst of a missed connection, the pain of unrequited love, navigating youthful ennui.”
– Sheldon Pearce. Review of Flower Boy, by Tyler, the Creator, Pitchfork, 3 October 2017. (Ben Stephen)

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”
– Jack Kerouac, On The Road (Alexa Ripa)

“Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.”
– The Sandlot (Tom Hollerbach)

“I hope she’ll be a fool — that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”
– F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (Marren Abernathy)

“On offering to help the blind man, the man who then stole his car, had not, at that precise moment, had any evil intention, quite the contrary, what he did was nothing more than obey those feelings of generosity and altruism which, as everyone knows, are the two best traits of human nature and to be found in much more hardened criminals like this one, a simple car thief without any hope of advancing in his profession, exploited by the real owners of this enterprise, for it is they who take advantage of the needs of the poor.”
– Jose Saramago, Blindness (Maria Marmolejo Rubio)

“I know not all that may be coming, but be what it will I’ll go to it laughing.”
– Herman Melville, Moby Dick (Delancey Showers)

“In many ways he was like America itself, big and strong, full of good intentions, a roll of fat jiggling at his belly, slow of foot but always plodding along, always there when you needed him, a believer in the virtues of simplicity and directness and hard labor.”
– Tim O’Brien, The Things They Carried (Emily Beck)

Portrait of Edward Gibbon (1737-94) c.1779 (oil on canvas) by Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-92)

“If a man were called to fix a period in the history of the world, during which the condition of the human race was most happy and prosperous, he would, without hesitation, name that which elapsed from the death of Domitian to the accession of Commodus. The vast extent of the Roman empire was governed by absolute power, under the guidance of virtue and wisdom.”
– Edward Gibbon, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Paul Evans)

“The surf today is slow, lethargic, and lackadaisical, like a turtle eating peanut butter.”
– KPBS surf report, 11 September 2017 (Paul Evans)