The Genre of the College Admission Essay

The College Essay

With each passing year, the genre of the College Acceptance Essay evolves due to the increasing competition among applicants. Each new generation of students looks to surpass the last class, analyzing essay samples and sculpting their own techniques. By figuring out what to do and what not to do, the genre transforms, leaving the bad ideas behind and absorbing the newest, most creative ideas.

Additionally, the College Essay itself has effectively created even more sub genres in itself by allowing students to think outside the box and stray away from the traditional paragraph writing style. The most prevalent essay types seem to be either a normally structured essay, or a creative outside the box essay.

The Purpose of the College Essay

As technology has advanced throughout the course of the development of academic institutions, the manners in which students have succeeded in achieving their goal of acceptance has also changed. Many will tell you, “Admission Boards get tired of weeding through thousands of boring essays every day, you need to do something to stand out!”. Though this is true now, how long did it take to get to this point? There had to have been many groups of initial applicants in which the content of their essays mattered less than say their grammar or punctuation. But as the years went on, the genre itself eroded into, “Who has the most interesting and original content?”.

It is a wonder to delve into the Theory of Genre, yet amazing how complex certain topics can be given we give them the time of day.

2 thoughts on “The Genre of the College Admission Essay

1. I’m not 100% certain, but I think it is correct to say “among applicants” rather than “between” (first sentence). Additionally, I believe it should say “Each new generation” as opposed to “Every new generation” (second sentence). In the final sentence of your first paragraph, a comma should be added following the verb “transforms.”

The term “Also” as a transitional phrase in your second paragraph may sound better if it is replaced by a transitional phrase that better matches the overall tone of your essay (something like “additionally” or “moreover”). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with “Also” but I read it as a last minute thought, rather than the introduction to your new point.

I would also suggest adopting a single verb tense throughout the essay, rather than shifting suddenly from present to past to future. [Although that might just be a stylistic preference, I’d try to carry a present tense throughout].

” Some will see a “normal” structured college essay, and on the other side of the spectrum, a creative “outside-the-box-thinking” type essay that seems to be preferred. ” I would also suggest revising this sentence. It’s a little vague who seems to prefer ” a creative “outside-the-box-thinking” type essay.” Also, not 100% sure, but it might be type of essay (instead of type essay).

The capitalization and punctuation of this sentence might also be revised: “Many will tell you, “admission boards get tired of weeding through thousands of boring essays every day, you need to do something to stand out!”. ”

The capitalization and punctuation of this sentence might also be revised: ” But as the years went on, the genre itself eroded into, “who has the most interesting and original content?”. ”

” It is a wonder to delve into the Theory of Genre, yet amazing how complex certain topics can be given we give them the time of day. ” This sentence feels like a generalization about the topic of genre as a whole, as opposed to the specific prompt regarding the college admissions essay as a genre. Addressing the initial prompt and overall purpose of this entire essay may be a more effective method of conclusion.

Overall, great job ! There are just some minor things to tweak, but the essay is compelling and thought-provoking. You could also add some of your personal experience in an anecdotal sense if you want. It might show some authority in the matter/ warrant more credibility as you have recently undergone the process.

2. Could you add Acceptance or Admission to your title and sometimes in the first paragraph? When I read college essay I was given a sense that it would be an essay for a class, not the admission essay. I think it would just help with clarification because I have always been told to assume the audience has no idea what you are talking about when you start. I would suggest using a stronger transition than “also” in your second paragraph. I’m not positive, but I don’t think College Essay needs to be capitalized, maybe you could do Common Application Essay. I also don’t think you need the subtitles while changing the topic, maybe just make them into a topic sentence.