College Application Essays

As I reflect on the process of writing my college application essays, I vividly remember the many emotions I felt – fear, anxiousness, confusion. These essays were particularly nerve wracking because they were a genre I was not quite familiar with. Not only did I have to write about myself, but I had to write in a unique way which would develop my character to the college admission faculty. Throughout middle school, and even high school, teachers typically formatted how they expected essays to be. In contrast, college application essays give you the freedom to structure your essays however you like. College essays are an interesting genre because there are many different ways to develop the genre of personal essays. For instance, the tone and structure vary greatly. Applicants write using various language and structure to depict their personality. Some use professional mannerisms, while others may use a more casual, enthusiastic tone. There are many devices to utilize within the genre; however, the main objective is to stand out amongst other applicants. One should aim to describe events in their life which develop who they are and how they will contribute to the college they are applying to. Personally, I found this challenging because I had to highlight my strengths without sounding boastful or conceited. Another aspect to keep in mind while writing these essays is the word counts. Some essays require short word counts. In this way, it is important to write in a dense, concise manner. For essays with long word counts, one should elaborate and include details, but refrain from being repetitive. As Dirk explained in her “Navigating Genres” essay, each genre has its own conventions which make it unique. Thus, it is important to deeply understand the genre and its characteristics when writing. College essays should be written in a form which elucidates who you truly are and highlight upon the notable characteristics which make you, you.

3 thoughts on “College Application Essays

1. Hi Kimia. Overall, I think you have a really great response. I especially connected with the part when you said, “I constantly feared if my essays were going to make me stand out among the other applicants”, because I remember this feeling all too well. If I could make some suggestions, I would maybe advise you to bring up other parts of Dirk’s essay, especially the part where he talks about wanting to elicit a response from the reader. When we wrote our college essays, we were hoping to convince them that we were intelligent, respectful, and an overall good fit into their campuses. I believe that this is an important part of the college essay genre, and I think that it would benefit your essay if you included it.

2. Good writing, I felt the same way when writing my essays. Your conclusion had a good point that personal essays have unique characteristics that define them as a genre, but it would be good to delve deeper into that. I would try and focus less on your experience of writing college admissions essays and more on what distinctive parts make them identifiable, such as purpose, audience and structure.