This position is for a research associate to support the STEMWoW evaluator, Dr.
Bernadette Chi, by assisting with instrument development, data collection and data
analysis during the months of June and July, 2019. STEMWoW is a two-week summer
STEM education experience for middle school students that will be held at the
University of San Diego. A key responsibility is attending the STEM WoW pod leader
trainings (in April, May and June) and the youth summer program (from July 8-19,
2019). With the support of the lead evaluator, the research associate will conduct field
observations and focus groups/interviews of students and team leaders. Prior research
or teaching experience is desirable, but not required. Stipend of $2000-$2500 to be
offered, depending on experience and amount of time available to work this summer.
- Basic understanding of qualitative research and use of spreadsheets to organize
and manipulate information.
- Competent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to
communicate effectively with all levels of staff, especially regarding progress on tasks.
- Experience interacting with people of different ages and ways of thinking.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality of data.
- Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Skills to analyze information with strong attention to detail.
- Bachelor degree in education, social science, statistics, mathematics, engineering or other related area or equivalent of training/experience.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Dr.Bernadette Chi at firstname.lastname@example.org