How to Prepare for Your Global Study Course

Photo of Rosa with other students standing in front of the Basilica di Santa Croce in Florence, Italy

A blog post from SOLES MA in School Counseling Ambassador, Rosa Hernandez.

As a second year School Counseling graduate student, I was lucky enough to take part in two Global Study experiences. In Fall 2018 I went to Italy with Dr. Martin and attended the International Association for Counseling Conference. In Spring 2019 I learned in great depth how trauma and crisis can affect a country in Japan with Dr. Cameron. Both experiences taught me how to embrace a cultural that is different from my own. In Italy I learned how to be more “go with the flow”.

Photo of Rosa with two friends inside a pub

I really encourage everyone who takes a Global Studies Course to embody this. Sometimes things don’t go as expected and agendas are changed. You are in a foreign country, so do yourself a favor and let go the need to have things done a certain way. Embrace the ever-changing environment and you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

In Japan I learned how to be more aware of social normalcies. On the subways everyone is expected to be respectful and silent, no one eats and walks at the same time, while waiting for your subway everyone stands in line, on the escalator people stand on one side and walk down on the other. My fellow classmates and I learned how to be more aware of our actions while in Japan.  I would recommend researching social normalcies before going on your own Global Studies course. Try to immerse yourself in the new cultural you are learning about and enjoy the experience you’ve been offered. I hope you all have fun!