Reflections on my Graduate School Journey

A blog post from SOLES MA in School Counseling Ambassador, Jocelyn Monroy-Saavedra

When I began looking into graduate school programs dedicated to School Counseling, I found USD. I signed up to learn more information but did not think much about it because in the back of my mind, I felt sure that I would stay in my hometown. I eventually decided to just give this school a chance because maybe I might like it. I reminded myself that it would be fun to be in a new environment and that it’s okay to try new things.

I chose USD because I felt a connection that can easily be defined as home. I don’t know if it was the friendly faces of my cohort, the support of my professors or the gorgeous ocean views of Mother Rosalie Hill Hall. All I knew was that I was home the minute I stepped foot on campus. I felt a sense of comfort which has continued on these past two years. At the end of this journey, I feel fortunate that I get to leave knowing that I made the best choice to attend USD.

As my graduation is coming in a few short months, I am grateful that I found USD because I am leaving feeling well prepared, ready, and excited to start my career as a future school counselor.