Happiness is Not a Limited Resource

A blog post from SOLES MA in Marital and family Therapy Ambassador, Taylor Valdivia:
As I embark on my final year in the Marital and Family Therapy Master’s program, I have learned that ‘adulting’ is everything it is hyped up to be…and then some. Balancing work, school, practicum, family, responsibilities, a social life and self-care all in a day’s work is a heck of a challenge; but one that I am always ready to take on.
Taking on each day is a battle in it of itself, but I am lucky to have such an incredible support system every step of the way. My fellow cohort members, professors, supervisors and family are walking beside me, picking me up when I fall, cheering me on and giving me unconditional love and support through it all. Every shoulder I have cried on, coffee order taken, ear I have talked off, late night food run, snap chat exchange, GIF battle and laugh shared…I have won the lottery with the people I am thankful to have in my life. These are the people who have seen me at my best and my worst and choose to accept me for both. Accepting me for who I am, supporting me, loving me and challenging me to be the best me that I can possibly be.
Being a graduate student is difficult and challenging, but one of the most rewarding journeys that I am blessed to be embarking on.  Some days are triumphs, others are tribulations, but each day I learn something new about the world, others and myself that I never knew before.
A lot goes on in balancing life as a graduate student, but just know that you are never alone. In this journey of pursuing higher education, I have found that I am a lot stronger than I thought I ever was. Facing challenges, emotions and feelings that I have tucked away for so long, I have been able to face them head on, with an entire support team behind me.
As you embark on your graduate school journey, I encourage you to find your happiness. I have found my own happiness and it continues to grow each and every day.  It’s in the quality time I share with my family, the relationships I have with my friends, the meditations I do at the beach, the workouts I have at the gym, the taste of coffee in the morning, reading before I go to bed, seeing my dream of becoming a therapist become a reality…everywhere I look, happiness awaits.
“The decision to be positive is not one that disregards or belittles the sadness that exists. It is rather a conscious choice to focus on the good, and to cultivate happiness – genuine happiness. Happiness is not a limited resource.”  – Christopher Aiff