Moving to San Diego

A blog post from SOLES MA in Nonprofit Leadership and Management Ambassador, Sigrid Struben:

I moved to San Diego in 1999 and I knew as soon as I arrived that I would never move again. The best things about calling San Diego home are the weather, proximity to diverse coastal environments, and almost unlimited opportunities for outdoor activities; they don’t call it America’s finest city for nothing!

Mission Bay and Pacific Beach are only a few miles from USD and are perfect for all sorts of recreation. Some of my favorites are kayaking, snorkeling, roller blading, sailing, scuba diving, boogie boarding and biking. If you are running low on energy after turning in a ten page paper you can always sit back, relax and enjoy being a spectator at San Diego’s unique and colorful over-the-line tournament every July at Mission Beach, the San Diego Bayfair power boat races, or just unwind and watch the locals and tourists hanging out at Belmont Park’s wooden roller coaster.

Can’t decide which to do first? Don’t worry, you live here now! Torrey Pines State Beach and Park is a little north of USD but only about a ten minute drive, much quieter, and offers gorgeous hiking trails through the cliffs above the beach. La Jolla is a great upscale beach town, also no more than a ten minute drive from campus. It has a wide variety of places to eat and shop, or explore art galleries where you can browse for free. I always like to go down to the water after enjoying a meal with family and friends to watch the seals and sea lions sun bathing on the rocks and playing in La Jolla Cove. San Diego’s coastline offers something for everyone, so you will never be bored. Whether you want to dive right in or just sit back and watch the sun set into the ocean you will return home relaxed and tan. But don’t forget your sunscreen — this is San Diego!

The childrens pool in La Jolla