Oh, how time flies…

A blog post from SOLES Master’s Credential Cohort Ambassador, Lara Angeles:
Whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing is entirely up to you. For me, it’s both. As a one-year candidate in the Master’s Credential Cohort program, the fact that time has gone by all too quickly is an understatement. It may sound cliché, but it really does seem just like yesterday we were having all of this information thrown our way during orientation last July. Now here we are preparing to graduate! Yes, we still have summer classes, but with many of us completing our international experience this summer, it’s a welcome break in comparison to the go-go-go that the rest of the year has brought.
But as I sit year writing this blog, I can’t help but reflect on the year that has passed by. From the time I began the application process for graduate programs to now as I’m in the midst of the application process for teaching positions, it’s hard to believe how much I’ve grown during that time. I know it may sound silly considering it has *only* been a year, but so much has happened that has challenged me and strengthened me: from balancing a hectic schedule to Teacher’s Appreciation Night at the zoo to lengthy class discussions about different pedagogies to yoga before Friday morning class to potlucks with my cohort to tears of joy and tears of stress… it’s amazing how much one can actually fit in a year and how close we have all become because of that! As I write this, it becomes more and more apparent to me how thankful I am not only to the family and friends that have supported me throughout this crazy time, but also to my cohortmates who have walked alongside me through this journey.
Even though the year isn’t over yet, I still feel a bittersweet ending up ahead. Amidst the stress of wrapping up our credential process, completing our action research, and job hunting, of course I’m relieved that there is an ending in sight. On the other hand, I know there will always be areas of growth for me and will miss the people that have helped me get this far. Since the ending is inevitable, I am glad to be finishing strong with the Class of 2017 and am excited to see what more is in store for the rest of our lives!
“The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” –Michael Althsuler
Lara