SOLES Graduate Student Association & Ways to Get Involved

A blog post from SOLES Ambassador and MA in Higher Education Leadership, Emily Davis:
Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 10.37.02 PM
I knew immediately when I began my program Fall 2014 that I wanted to be involved in something more than just academics. I certainly believe that you can grow and learn just as much outside the classroom as you can inside, so I began to explore my options. I eventually applied for the SOLES Graduate Student Association (SGSA) and accepted the position of Communications Director for the 2014-2015 academic year.
As part of SGSA, there have been several opportunities that have truly shaped my first year in the Higher Education Leadership program. Here are three highlights:

1. Professional Development

As a Higher Education Leadership student, it has been exciting for me to explore the world of graduate student life. I have been stretched as I learned new and unique ways to market, plan, and implement events for graduate students. In SGSA you have the opportunity to represent the student voice, plan amazing events, develop a brand, manage a budget, and so much more.

1. Fun and Memorable Events

Some of my favorite memories from my first year are at SGSA events! This year we have hosted Meet & Greets meals, Coffee Hours, a Wine & Paint night, a Brewery Social, community service events, a Holiday Brunch, and our Annual Awards Dinner. Our events are ever-changing based on the desires of the students.

1. Relationships and Networking

I am so lucky to have worked with amazing individuals who served on the 14-15 SGSA team, and consider them colleagues as well as friends. SGSA events are great ways to get to know people from across the SOLES community, including faculty and staff. Our goal is to integrate the cohorts and programs in a way that allows you to build your professional network and memories at the same time.
I am honored to have just been appointed President of SGSA for the 15-16 school year, so consider this my formal invitation for you to consider joining our team by way of Program Representative, Committee member, or simply attending our events! If you have any questions about SGSA at any time, please contact us at usdsolesgsa@gmail.com. I can’t wait to see you all in the fall!