Why School Counseling at USD?

A blog post from SOLES Ambassador and MA in Counseling with specialization in School Counseling Blanca Zuniga: 
As I wrapped up my last conversation with a prospective student at the SOLES Spring Open House last month, I couldn’t help myself from thinking about how amazing USD has been. Through research papers, nightly readings, practicum/fieldwork, assignments and my busy hectic schedule, it is very easy to forget how valuable my education at USD really is. Being able to share my experiences and hearing my professors present on our program, was very refreshing and it reminded me of how fortunate I am to be a part of this program and the SOLES community. In an effort to make your decision of choosing the counseling graduate program at USD easier, I selected the top 5 things that make this program at USD unique.
#1 Hands-on Training: Through in-class projects, assignments, practicum and fieldwork, you are given ample opportunities to put your learning and skills to practice. One of the things I enjoy the most about our classes is that they are very practical and that you are exposed to many situations you will encounter in the field. Through this hands-on training you feel more confident with your skills and prepared to work with your students.
#2 Supportive Faculty: Our professors are extremely invested in our learning and they are there to guide us every step of the way. They genuinely care about our success in and out of grad school and you can always count on them for support. School Counseling faculty are committed to ensuring that we are knowledgeable in our field and that we strengthen the skills essential in our every day practice.
#3 Accreditation: Our program is state and nationally (CACREP) accredited and we are 1 out of 6 schools in the state of California that holds this accreditation. Due to this accreditation, our program curriculum ensures that we are able to meet the standards set by the profession and that we have the knowledge and skills to be prepared for the field. Through USD, you are guaranteed high quality education and success in your practice.
#4 International Experience: USD overall is committed to the value of understanding multiple perspectives and cultures. Therefore, students are required to participate in an international experience. Through this experience, we get the opportunity to learn about a different culture and see what counseling practices look like in this country.
#5 We Stand Out: USD has a strong reputation in the San Diego community and has strong relationships with numerous school districts. Due to the values, morals and integrity of all USD students, we are known to have strong work ethic and dedication for the helping profession. At the same time, because of the high expectations and rigorous curriculum, we tend to bring in the skills and creative ideas/projects that students from other programs don’t. Action research in particular is a project that we uniquely do and that schools find beneficial for their sites. Altogether, schools and community members know who USD students are and what they are capable of doing for schools, their students and the community as a whole. USD students make things happen!