A Growing Opportunity

The decision to apply to graduate school developed in its own time after completing my Bachelor’s degree in 2010.  Once the light bulb went off for me that I wanted to start my future as a professional school counselor, I realized the application deadlines for schools I found interest in were only a few months away.  When I mentioned University of San Diego, my family, friends, and co-workers thought I was kidding.  Are you really going to move 3,000 miles away?  I replied with hope that yes, I was going to.   I’m all about seeking opportunities and finding growth in situations.  After my interview at USD, I went back to Boston feeling liberated, feeling ready to leave, and praying I would get in.

Are you really going to move 3,000 miles away?

I am a transplant to San Diego, moving from Boston, but also growing up on the east coast in upstate New York.  I’ve always been open to relocating, but I never saw myself actually moving across the country.  It all happened so quick for me.  I must admit, I was on cloud nine the first month I got out here and I quickly fell in love with California.  With time, the feeling of disconnect kicked in.  I was supported in my choice to move, but I didn’t realize how much I was leaving behind me; family, friends, my winter coats and boots.  As classes began, and the process of self-reflection started to unravel, I began making a new life for myself and feelings of disconnect faded.  It’s hard moving away from the people and things you love, and the places you are most comfortable, but for me, I knew if I did not capitalize on this opportunity, I would have looked back with regrets.  Removing myself from what I’ve always known has been eye-opening, but entering the field of counseling has brought light to a different part of me that I don’t think I ever would have engaged in until this past year.
I know there are many people who have had been through a similar experience or are currently contemplating it now.  Call me cliché, but time does fly.  My friends I’ve made here and I are already avoiding the conversation of potentially leaving once we graduate.  You grow close with your classmates and you are professionally guided by the amazing and supportive faculty and staff in SOLES.  Moving has been one of the best decisions I’ve made for myself.  It doesn’t always feel easy, but the way I see it, you can always go back to where you were, but sometimes you may never get the same opportunity twice.
Kristen is a SOLES Ambassador and a current School Counseling Masters Candidate, to read Kristen’s profile and learn more about her experience in the School Counseling program, follow the link>>