College Admissions Essay Reflection

The college admissions essay can be classified broadly as a single genre because the purpose (to get into college) and the audience (the college admissions board) are the same for every author, no matter what institution he or she is writing to. Of course, the Common Application is currently the leading tool in the admissions process. As those of us who used the Common App know, there are five prompts for the main essay, all of which leave students with room for creativity. These five prompts might be separated into sub-genres, because of the different style or process each prompt could require. For example, the way one student might choose to write about his or her triumph over failure would probably be different than the way another student might write about his or her experience with standing up for a belief. Unfortunately, for some, there is too much artistic license in comparison to a typical high school paper, which usually has a more particular formula. Fortunately, however, many students find it easier to write about themselves as it usually requires no research and they can tell their own story the way they want to. A benefit of the college admissions essay is the personal style in which most students get to write. At my high school in particular, we wrote a lot of really formal papers, which, of course, seldom talked about our own interests, and, therefore, were less driven by passion. I actually found it fun to write about myself and my interests because it felt more personal and a little less formal. Nonetheless, the college admissions essay should not be sloppy, as if we were just telling a story to our friends. In my experience, it was a little difficult to loosen up and write about myself just because I had gotten so used to writing about whatever my teacher wanted me to and citing sources to support my ideas, but once I started writing and began to feel comfortable, I found it really enjoyable.

2 thoughts on “College Admissions Essay Reflection

1. Makenzie,

I agree that it is easier to write about yourself than to write a formal paper with specific guidelines. The college admission prompts give the applicant the freedom to tell their story in whatever style they want. I also agree that these essays are categorized in their own genre, with the prompts as sub genres. I like how you gave your own comparison to your high school writing experience. I hated writing papers with boring topics, and those were definitely driven with less passion and effort. The college admissions essays encourage students to step out of their boundaries.

– Andrew Felix

2. Hi Makenzie,
    You pulled my name, and now I’ve pulled yours! I really liked how you organized your response; you discussed the genre and then tied in your own personal experience, without making it too personal or going off-topic. You commented in my paper that you did not have to write a personal statement, and in your paper you state that there are “five prompts for the main essay.” As we clearly had different writing prompts for different colleges, I might suggest making this point based of of your own experience, rather than saying “As we know,” which establishes the five prompt option as a characteristic of all college admissions essays. Like you stated, there are sub-genres within the application process, and the different requirements for different schools plays into that idea.

One detail I might recommend revising is “Another benefit of the college admissions essay,” because you had mentioned an unfortunate/fortunate comparison, but you were not listing benefits. I think you could simply state “A benefit of the college admissions essay” instead.