The San Diego Foundation is now accepting application for the Cathy Hopper Memorial Scholarship. The Application Deadline is May 21, 2021 .
CATHY HOPPER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Application opens April 26, 2021; deadline May 21, 2021
Cathy Hopper was a long-time educator and resident of San Diego County. She received her Master of Arts in Education from San Diego State University. She was a teacher in the social studies classroom of Gompers Middle School and then Taft Middle School. She became Vice Principal at Madison, then Patrick Henry High which she helped open. Cathy became Principal at Wright Brothers Career High, then Bell Jr. High and was the first Principal at University City High, being one of only two women high school principals at the time. Cathy then served as Assistant Superintendent of Operations for the San Diego Unified School District. She was one of the administrators during the tumultuous integration movement and worked tirelessly to allay fears and helped make for a peaceful transition. Upon her retirement, Cathy helped inaugurate the Aaron Price Fellows Scholarship Program.
Cathy Hopper Memorial Scholarship applicants must:
- Have resided in San Diego County for at least one year
- Have graduated from a public high school in San Diego County
- Be current college/university students currently pursuing their teaching credential and/or student teaching at a university in California with the goal of a career as a K-12 public school teacher in California
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Have shown a commitment to their community through meaningful community service
- Have a demonstrated financial need
This scholarship may be used for tuition, books, and fees room & board, and other educational expenses.
The scholarship may be renewable (depending upon available funds) for up to two years total, provided the student maintains a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale, good citizenship record, and continues to have financial need.
For more information or to obtain a copy of the application and guidelines, contact The San Diego Foundation at email@example.com.