Frankenstein Feedback [Alvarado]

Response to Derin’s Essay

In response to your essay, Derin, I thought that your argument was clear and a very good idea to base the paper on, possibly because I chose to write on the same topic. You do take on a rather familiar tone in your analysis, but I do not know if that is necessarily a bad thing. You write with a very strong opinion, which was can be seen from the start when you mention that Victor is the real monster in the story and when you call him a “deranged sociopath” which may come off as slightly unprofessional. I like the quotes you used in the second and third paragraphs and how you analyzed them, but perhaps you could elaborate more on your analysis. I also liked how you talked about Victor’s mother dying as being a part of his hunger for power. I saw the death as more of a motivation to learn more about life and death, giving him a reason to want to give life to inanimate hosts (and possibly bring back the dead). You have a very solid train of thought working and you just need to continue to elaborate on your analysis. My only two critiques would be the familiar tone of the essay and to continue to analyze the text. I do suggest addressing the opposing argument that Victor’s abandonment was the biggest mistake, and tie that into how Victor’s hunger for power caused him to overlook the consequences of making the creature and that his lack of foresight was a cause for why he abandoned it.