Genre Final [Wetter]

It has been over 2 years since I last submitted a college application essay, as my transfer application was far more condensed and was limited to the difference between USD and my previous school. That said, what I remember from the process is an active attempt to convince the reader that I am unique as compared to the mass amounts of other students whose essays had already been read. The rhetorical situation, therefore, is one of convincing the audience that there are attributes unique to myself that would make me a good fit for that specific university. The location, or situational expectations of the essay’s format and character according to the university to which I may be applying, of most college essays is one that adequately answers the general yet profound question of ‘who are you?’. As such, the genre of college application essays is one that tends to adhere to a uniform design, often beginning with an anecdote that represents the unique characteristic that will then be expanded upon throughout the rest of the essay. The genre’s rhetorical situation is rather uniform and explicit in what it is looking for, and being so there are college counselors whose entire job is to ensure that the applicant is writing in such a way that corresponds with the university’s desired form. This being the case, all college essays have become rather uniform in style, which seems to be counter to the point of the essays in the first place, i.e. to stand out. Despite my general animosity towards the bland nature of college essays, I certainly enjoyed writing mine, as it was my first opportunity to delve into my past in an academic manor, which now is one of my favorite pass-times. My essay discussed the influence that astronomical inquiry had on my life, and the flurry of cosmic insignificance that followed, which eventually led me to my profound love for philosophy. Perhaps my first philosophical work was that of my college application essay, though I did not know it at the time, and for that I am certainly grateful for the expected form of this genre, despite the fact that I am sure my essay looked much like many others.

2 thoughts on “Genre Final [Wetter]

1. Great description of the genre of college essays and incorporation of Dirk’s writing views, maybe try adding the specific strategies you used in your essay in order to make it appeal to the colleges you applied to.

2. Good job on the usage of Dirk’s vocabulary, maybe try adding something about your thought process while writing your essays.