Prospectus [Uluc]

For my research paper I plan to write about micro-targetting using social media and how it affects consumerism and elections. I plan to utilize the New York Times article by Zeynep Tufekci, “Russian Meddling Is a Symptom, Not the Disease”, and relate the data she found about facebook micro-targetting connecting to the Trump campaign. I’d like to relate this to my own ideas and research about the affects of micro-targeting in our society. I also plan to use Jaron Lanier’s book “Ten arguments for deleting your social media accounts right now” to discuss more about the algorithmic manipulation taking place on the internet and dive deeper into the harmful, addicting nature of social media. My goal with this research paper is to further expose the way that social media wrongfully invades our privacy and uses personal information about us to try and sell us items they think we’d want or need. I will also be discussing how micro-targetting leads to election corruption and how the algorithmic manipulation of social media leads us to think in ways they want us to be thinking. Social media/news only show us what they want us to see, leading us to develop mindsets that they are in control of. The main idea here is that if we continue being controlled by social media and micro-targetting we will never be able to have the privacy we deserve or to think for ourselves.