Technology Final [Macias]

In this day in age technology is a manmade resource that society has become dependent on. Many people would say technology is something we can not live without. With my positive experience, I would agree that it would be a difficult adjustment in life without the use of technology. Overall in life, I have seen how lucky we are as a country to have the resources we have. I have grown up traveling to Mexico at least once a year to visit family and that has made me very appreciative of what we are offered in the United States. Two of the biggest differences I have noticed in the  interactions in technology between the two countries would be social life and academic life.

Every day we go to school and it is normal for us to have at least one interaction in class using technology. In the school perspective I think we are more than fortunate to have Google at our fingertips. You hear from your parents, grandparents, and professors that when they were our age they had to dig for answers. At school in the United States we are in a atmosphere that is highly dependent on technology. Emails, homework, and even class lectures are all online. As a factor of technology, we are highly above other countries in education. In Mexico, some of the students don’t even own a computer. Nor do all of the teachers have a computer. When I go to Mexico, I see my cousins doing all their school work on paper. This past summer I visited my cousins high school, no where did I see a computer lab, some of the classrooms didn’t have a smart board, or have a projector to offer to the teachers so they can teach their class. In Mexico, there are stores where you will find the majority of the students renting a computer to do their homework. Here in the U.S. almost every students has a laptop or a computer at home to complete their homework without having to pay a rent fee. It is an eye opener being able to see how advanced our country is and how academically advanced one can be all because of technology.

Another positive experience I have had with technology is being able to keep in contact with friends and family members that live so far away. Distance from significant people in my life is something I have always dealt with. Without technology I would not be able to call my dad every day while he’s away traveling for work. I wouldn’t know my family members as well as I do without technology because I wouldn’t be able to communicate with them every day. In the U.S. we live our lives on our cell phones. One thing that makes me wish I didn’t have access to the use technology is I see everyone in Mexico living their lives off technology. Although a country like Mexico has phones, computers, and etc., it is a lot harder to be able to afford and find the best of the best. We are constantly looking to get the newest released electronics. I have noticed over time that kids in the U.S. have also depended more on video games rather than being outside playing. Still to this day when I visit Mexico, I see kids playing in the streets every night with no electronics in sight. Even though I have had negative experiences with technology, being able to stay in connect with my family no matter the distance has a greater positive effect in my life.

One thought on “Technology Final [Macias]

1. I think the contrast between what you’ve seen in Mexico vs the US with respect to different uses of technology would make a great focus for the post. Try to work in more specific, observed, detail about the different ways people engage with technology in the two cultures.