Make Soap, Save Money!

There is a lot of information and several guides on the internet that instruct people on how to make their own soap bars. Several of them use every day cooking items along with scents. These guides are helpful to everyday people because they help save money. In my lab experiment, my group made soap to make use of spent kitchen oil. This aspect offers a green use of oil to that would otherwise be wasted.

This soap experiment included three main parts: measuring free fatty acid content of used kitchen oil, making a batch of fuel from this oil, and finalizing the mixtures into a bar of soap! I will focus on explaining the last aspect, where the contents previously created are made into the product we desire. Glycerin, a thick liquid produced when making soap, was heated and strained with a kitchen strainer. The strainer was there to catch any remaining chunks from the used oil. Next, the glycerin was kept heated while adding a base. A base is needed because soap needs to be basic, rather than acidic. As a reference, acidic foods include soft drinks and pickles, while basic foods include broccoli and carrots. Essential oils were added after continuous mixing to add a minty and fruity smell to the mixture. We used a pH paper to make sure that our soap mixture was basic enough. pH is a scale used to let us know how acidic or basic a solution is. Once the pH was just right, we turned off the heat and poured the solution into soap molds. This soap was then set aside to age for 2 weeks before use.

I was impressed by how many bars of soap we were able to make out of the used kitchen oil. Although this lab included technical equipment and chemicals, I like the idea that soap can be made rather than bought. I would definitely consider making soap at home, and possibly giving them as presents. I like the idea of making products at home because they would reduce packaging waste, and would offer a natural and cheap alternative to typical consumption. With just a few common kitchen items and a few molds, this experiment could easily be echoed in the home.

4 thoughts on “Make Soap, Save Money!

1. Considering very few people are aware of what is in their hygienic and beauty products, making your own soap is a great idea!! That way you can ensure that no chemicals are used that later on will be deemed as hazardous!

2. This is a great idea especially if a person is allergic to certain chemicals that are used in store-bought soaps. My only question would be, I am wondering if handmade soaps are as effective as store-bought soaps? When I brought mine home after the lab, I have used it several times for my hands after washing my dishes however I noticed I had to scrub my hands much more with this soap versus the bottled soap I usually use from Target.

3. This is very interesting. I wonder if the soap will have antibacterial properties or if it is normally added in by a separate chemical. I like to use antibacterial soaps in the bathroom to ensure they are actually cleaning. I would love to use homemade soaps and possibly make shampoos too!

4. The use of cooking oils to create soap is a terrific idea as it allows people to exercise another method of recycling which limits the amount of waste in our landfills. Not only does this form of recycling make your feel good on the inside for doing your part, but it also makes you smell good too (BONUS!).