Maria Turner: What’s Missing

Description creates a vivid picture for the reader, it allows them to open a gateway to your story and imagine themselves within your fictional world. Of course, that doesn’t mean you have to go into detail about everything for every scene. While I was reading  Saint Augustine’s Confessions, I keep questioning myself, If it was my book and my confessions what would I omit or include? Since I will know that maybe my book could be read by someone in the future. What would I want this person to know about my historical time?. Personally I think Saint Augustine omits a lot of descriptive details. It is hard to create an image of how does his physical appearance looks like? Where did he live and how does his house look like? How was the clothing by that time? By the way, the book was written I can intend that the purpose wasn’t to inform how was the earth looking around that time, the purpose of the book is about his relationship with God through his life. Furthermore, I think is always a good idea to add a little physical detail so the reader can imagine more precisely.

From my perspective, I think that, if I were to write a book by knowing about my relationship with God and my life, I would add a lot of descriptive details. I would like to describe more about how people look, how people dress code is important, where do we live, even though the book’s main purpose won’t be to inform others how 2020 looked like. But I would like to lead the reader to have a physical image of where the story was situated, as you are talking to someone who wasn’t living in your historical time and maybe something that now is really common in 200 years is really significant. Moreover, I would need to decide how personal I want to be in other to describe my feeling toward a situation. Is without a doubt that I would like to include my personal experiences and how this made me feel, as I think is important to give the reader a whole experience about how Maria Turner was standing in the middle of the 21st century. On the other hand, unintentionally I will omit technology details, expecting the reader to know how a telephone, car, the plane was looking like, since now is much easier to go on internet and browser how do telephones look in the 21st century.

Saint Augustine does include a lot of personal experiences and emotions. He acknowledges his intentions and feeling towards God making the descriptions more clear and understandable. Definitely Augustine is really direct and plain in the description of the intentions and experiences he goes through. He expresses a lot of respect to God and clarifies his philosophy. As I mention before he omits a lot of physical detailing, you can’t have a clear image of how he looked when he was an adolescent or an infant. Also, he doesn’t mention much about his personal relationship, how this made him feel or influences him in any way. In my opinion, I think Augustin is familiar with the relationship with his parents as he barley mention his father and gives really small details about him. On the other hand, he mentions his mother as a positive influence in his spiritual life. Additionally, he makes it clear about how education was upon that period of time, which is something really interesting because education has changed a lot through time. Also, this helps the reader to get a small background where all the educational part of the writer comes from and form whom this was persuaded.

In conclusion, the form of writing of Saint Augustine and mine can be similar in several ways as the personal exposure of feelings in a specific situation. In contrast, the omission of the physical description of the author is something that I would definitely change if I had the opportunity to write my own personal experience towards my relationship with God. Based on my personal opinion, I think that the inclusion of a considerable amount of personal experience of the author is something that helps the reader create a background of the historical time the relates were based on. Confessions is a book detailed of the emotions and encounter of Saint Augustine with the Lord (God) and altogether the author makes a really interesting work, detailing much more the challenges he faced during his life.