Meet Luke Garrett ’20

USD Senior Luke Garrett looks directly at the camera with a thoughtful look.

To paraphrase Walt Whitman, this modern-day Renaissance man contains multitudes. Luke has just two more classes this fall before he earns his undergraduate degree with a somewhat surprising double major: physics and philosophy. From day one, the self-described “super extrovert” dived into campus life with gusto.

“I was everywhere during my first year,” he recalls. “Outdoor Adventures, events, University Ministry — all of it was great fun and I met a lot of people.”

As a senior, Luke was looking for something to immerse himself in on campus. His girlfriend, a copyeditor for The USD Vista student newspaper, mentioned a news editor opening. “Then the editor-in-chief position opened up, so I went for it, even though I was a bit of a wildcard.” He got the job. “I knew the newspaper could be more than it was, and I wanted to do what I could to get it up there,” he says.

As a kid, Luke was exposed to all sorts of interesting experiences. His parents were both reporters; his father is CBS News Chief Washington Correspondent Major Garrett. When asked whether growing up in Washington, D.C. with folks in the news business led to any interesting encounters, he recalls the time that he and his siblings accompanied their dad to the Oval Office.

“President Obama said to me, directly, ‘Hey, Luke, you’re pretty tall!” he recalls with a laugh. “So I put those words as a quote next to my photo in my 8th grade yearbook.” — Julene Snyder