Description: The STEAM Team Summer Academy is a week-long program for middle school students focused on holistic academic enrichment. Through hands-on learning in engineering, arts and mathematics, students will engage their creativity, enhance problem solving skills, and develop mathematical questioning, communication and critical thinking skills. The goal of this week is to provide a fun and enriching experience that increases students’ STEAM literacy, and enthusiasm about further education opportunities and careers in STEAM fields.
Dates and Times:
Monday, July 17th – Friday, July 21st, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Lunch & snacks will be provided daily.
Pre-orientation for students and families:
Sunday, July 16th, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Youth and Community STEAM Conference and student presentations:
Saturday, July 22nd, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Location: University of San Diego Campus, 5998 Alcala Park, San Diego, CA 92110
Drop Off: Loma Hall (8:45-9:00 a.m.)
Pick-Up: Mother Rosalie Hill Hall (SOLES) (3:45-4:00 p.m.)
Who Should Attend: This workshop is designed for incoming 6th – 8th graders with an interest in exploring engineering, arts, or mathematics, and a desire to better understand how all these areas can be applied together to produce innovative and artistic creations.
During the week-long experience students will:
- Explore mathematical concepts and engineering design principles;
- Design and build complex chain reaction machines, robotic devices, and origami structures;
- Engage their curiosity to ask and explore their own questions;
- Develop critical mathematics skills and understanding;
- Participate in fun character and team-building through fitness and theatre activities;
- Learn about people and careers in STEAM, highlighting the experiences of women and minorities in the STEAM fields;
- Engage in daily personal and academic goal-setting sessions;
- Learn how to use the middle and high school years to prepare for college and careers.
Enrolled students will learn from University of San Diego faculty, students and alumni from the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, the School of Leadership and Education Sciences, and the Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering.
The academy will begin with a 2-hour pre-camp meeting and campus tour on Sunday for the middle school students and their parents. The pre-camp meeting will include a discussion of the expectations for the week and an opportunity for the middle school students to meet and participate in their first team-building activities together.
- Apply engineering design principles and develop increased engineering confidence, interest and knowledge;
- Apply critical mathematics skills and develop increased mathematics confidence, interest and knowledge;
- Improve problem solving, communications and critical thinking skills;
- Improve leadership and goal-setting skills;
- Recognize how to use the middle and high school years wisely to prepare for college and careers;
- Increase exposure to the university/college campus and faculty and students;
- Recognize that failure is a natural, worthwhile part of the learning process and develop perseverance;
- Develop the Common Core Mathematical Practices and the Next Generation Science Standards Engineering Practices.
Program Directors: The STEAM Team Summer Academy is run by a team of three University of San Diego Faculty- Odesma Dalrymple, Perla Myers, and Joi Spencer. Dalrymple, Myers and Spencer are accomplished educators with expertise in STEAM instruction across the K-16 pipeline. In addition to providing the conceptual development of the STEAM Team Summer Academy, they serve as lead instructors for the engineering and mathematics learning experiences at the camp. Dalrymple, Myers, and Spencer coordinate all aspects of the Academy including the selection, hiring and supervision of instructors and student-assistants, and the coordination of the camp schedule and activities.
Course Fee: $375.00. A 10% discount is available for USD Employees. Space is limited.
STEAM Team Academy
University of San Diego
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
The S(TEAM)2 Summer Academy is a collaboration of University of San Diego faculty from the School of Leadership and Education Sciences, the Shiley-Marcos School of Engineering, and the College of Arts and Sciences (Department of Mathematics).