- This event has passed.
Juneteenth: Looking Back, Looking Forward
June 18 @ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Join us as we celebrate Juneteenth on the one year anniversary of the #BLM Social Justice and Advocacy Series, and renew our commitment to learning and engagement in the work of equity and social justice.
We invite you to engage with the readings and videos below in preparation for the event.
Selected Readings for this Event:
- National Geographic – Red Summer (from Tulsa to DC) – https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/remembering-red-summer-white-mobs-massacred-blacks-tulsa-dc?loggedin=true
- Review during session PBS – Red Summer / When Racist Mobs Rule – Red Summer: When Racist Mobs Ruled | American Experience
- Radical Empathy
- Letter to Maya – “My Dearest Maya” – A Letter from Lisa Delpit to her daughter, 1999.
Suggested Social Media:
- @ckyourprivilege Check Your Privilege (they) is a “collective of educators guiding folx on the journey of becoming actively anti-racist.” Founder: @myishathill
- @soyouwanttotalkabout so you want to talk about…dissects “progressive politics and social issues in graphic slideshow form!”
- @antiracisteducationnow Antiracist Education Now! Founded by Michael Pena (he/him/his), Latinx antiracist science educator “focused on ending white supremacy and systemic racism in all areas of education.”
Selected Media for this Event: