About Me

Zwolinski-SmithHi. I’m a Professor of Philosophy at the University of San Diego, and founder and director of USD’s Center for Ethics, Economics, and Public Policy. I write about the basic income guarantee, exploitation, and the history of libertarian ideas.

My research interests are generally in the intersection of ethics, law, and economics, with two specific areas of focus. The first involves the proper understanding and normative status of liberty and political libertarianism. Lately, I’ve been especially interested in libertarian approaches to defending a Basic Income Guarantee. The second area of interest has to do with the nature and moral significance of exploitation for individual ethics and political institutions.

I am currently working on a book tentatively titled A Brief History of Libertarianism, which attempts to trace libertarian thought from its origins in figures like Grotius and the Spanish Scholastics to more contemporary figures like Rothbard, Hayek, Rand and Nozick. I am writing this book with John Tomasi of Brown University, and it is currently under contract with Princeton University Press. I’m also editing two books with Ben Ferguson: the Routledge Companion to Libertarianism, and Exploitation: Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (under contract with Oxford). Finally, I am writing Universal Basic Income: What Everyone Needs to Know with Miranda Perry-Fleischer (under contract with Oxford).

In the Fall semester of 2020, I am teaching PPE 101: Morality, Markets, and Government.