Where do I go from here?

Challenge:
Where do I go from here?

Scenario:
I need some guidance with my ELD student. If I have a short amount of time, what do you think is the most important thing to work on now? She understands her colors, has map terms and safety signs down. I just want to teach her so much, and there seems to be so little time.

Possible Strategies:
With regards to your tutee, she really needs to know “social” vocabulary as well, such as greetings. Also, how are her numbers? If she does not know them, teach them in context (use pictures of trees, flowers, etc., simple worksheets for primary grades now have colorful illustrations for numbers.) Remember that you don’t necessarily need to cover one topic at a time, but you can integrate. Again, use our resource book as a guide for topics. Whatever you teach her, make sure to include nouns, verbs, and adjectives. A perfect example are classroom objects. This is critical vocabulary for her to know. Integrate with verbs used in the classroom, and adjectives that describe them. Start simple first: name the object and do something with them using Total Physical Response (TPR), then describe it. For example have one pencil that is long one that is short. Be sure to review the vocabulary that she has already learned such as her colors (“Put the red pencil on the desk.”).

Resolution:
Thanks for your help. I did classroom vocabulary today! Also, I tried to help her with math. I found out she has no math background. She said she went to school in Mexico, but that they didn’t do any math. Is this possible? Anyway they had the whole class doing triple digit addition and she was using an abacus. She was just playing with it, she didn’t know how to use it at all or carry it. I tried to break down the problem for her. I think she finally understood the problems using her fingers, but the worksheet was I+10. There were word problems, logic problems but she couldn’t even get past the addition. It’s very frustrating to me that they give her worksheets in science, history, and math and she has no idea what to do, so she stares at them or writes nonsense words. I worked on TPR with classroom directions, classroom objects, (we did the worksheet game from the resource book, played bingo with objects, drew the objects in our desks, and then read Dr. Seuss. I also reviewed clothes with her, but I brought in dolls like you did in class and she kept playing with the Snow White doll. She works better with me one on one now, so I work with the two boys for the first forty-five minutes, and then with her alone for the last hour and fifteen minutes.