My tutee has become hostile to me

Challenge:
My tutee has become hostile to me

Scenario:
I met with my student again today and it started out okay. He had a substitute teacher, so I had a feeling that he would not be too interested in doing activities. I guess by the time I got there he had already gotten in trouble for using the “f-word” several times, and he had no interest in following the substitute’s rules. I took him aside and we read some of his book. He is doing really well with his reading and I am very impressed every time is see him. He got bored with reading very quickly, so we talked for a little while about Thanksgiving and sports. We were going to read Spiderman and then write a sentence about it, but he refused to write anything and I ended up being the one who read the story to him. His writing for class is improving, so I know he can do it. Any time that I try to get him to do work he just gets angry. He just wanted to joke around with his friends the entire time. He would not even speak to me from that point on and then began mocking me in Spanish to his friend. I asked if he wanted to walk around the school and go outside with me, but he refused to leave the room. It is so frustrating. I’m going in tomorrow, so I’ll see if anything changes. I’m getting really discouraged.

Possible Strategies:
1. I can really identify with your situation, having been a substitute myself, I know first hand how students don’t think they need to respect the substitute. One idea that worked with my student when I was having difficulty getting him to listen to me and participate was including a friend in the lesson. I am not sure if this would be helpful to you, but as long as the activity is structured, then you provide him with the opportunity to talk with his friend about what you want them to discuss related to your lesson.

2. Don’t get discouraged!! If he needs help in other areas besides writing, or example reading try to play a game to learn words for example, he may be tired of trying to write in class and because you have so little time focus on something he still needs but may not be as frustrating. Unfortunately, it may be the case of him taking it out on you. What are you doing during the second hour? I hope that by working with groups or being involved on different type of activities you will feel more effective.

3. Don’t get discouraged!! If he needs help in other areas besides writing, for example with reading, try to play a game to learn words. It may be that he is tired of trying to write in class. Because you have so little time, perhaps you can focus on something he still needs help in but will be less frustrating for him. Unfortunately, it could also be a case of him taking it out on you. What are you doing during the second hour? I hope that by working with groups or being involved in different types of activities, this can help you feel more effective.