Kindergarten: Beginner

ELD Lesson Plan

Grade Level: Kindergarten
Level of ELD: Beginner
Objective: She will construct simple sentences using her knowledge of predicting and picture reading.
Prior Knowledge and Skills:
• How to picture read
• make predictions Key Vocabulary:
• Prediction: Your best guess
• Picture Reading: Making meaning from the pictures
• Clues: Hints from the text
• Sentence: A whole thought that ends with a period, questions mark, or exclamation point

Materials:
• Davis, K & Oldfield, W. My Balloon. Photographs by Fiona Pragoff
• Berenstain, J and Berenstain, J. The Berenstain Bears: Big Bear, Small Bear
• Christelow, Eileen. Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
• Sentence strips that begin with either I see, or I predict
I: Anticipatory Set (Time: 5 minutes)
Today we are going to practice picture reading. You remember what that is? We have been using the pictures to make meaning from the text. So let’s practice picture reading with this book, My Balloon. I want you to tell me what you see in the pictures.

II: Instruction (Time: 10 minutes)
1. For example. I see an orange balloon on the cover. Now you try with the next page. Tell me what you see and I will write it down on these sentence strips. Do you notice what these sentences begin with? They begin with I see and that is how I want you to begin your sentences when you are picture reading.
2. She dictates the sentences for this book. She has a limited English background so I am not expecting sentences like I see a girl squishing a balloon and it is going to pop. She uses gestures more frequently or sounds to communicate if she doesn’t know the word. If she does communicate in this way, I would ask her if she means that it is about to pop. For instance, she would say, “I see a balloon, like orange”. So I would change it and say so should I write, “I see an orange balloon”.
3. After she has finished picture reading the book, I would introduce The Berenstain Bears: Big Bear, Small Bear and ask if she remembers what predictions are.
4. Predictions are guessing what is going to happen next. We look at the picture and see if there are any clues about what is going to happen on the next page.
5. Model how to make a prediction using the text. I predict that the hat will be too big for the small bear. Now you try.
6. I want you to tell me first what you see and I will write it down on these strips that begin with I see. Then I want you to tell me what you predict. I will write down these sentences on these strips which begin with I predict.

III: Guided Practice (10 minutes)
1. She picture reads the book and makes predictions based on the text such as, I predict that it (the boat) go down in the water. When there was a tiny bowl of spaghetti in front of big bear and a large portion in front of small bear she said, I predict that that’s a big for father and that’s a little for her. I take down what she dictates on the appropriate sentence strip.

IV: Independent Practice (10 minutes)
1. Without prompting she will dictate Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree, using the I see and I predict format. This book is similar to Berenstain Bears in predictability and she has already read Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. She knows the format and this type of predictable text will help her gain self-confidence about constructing simple sentences.
2. Take down the sentences that she dictates.

V: Assessment (Time: 10 minutes)
1. Have her continue to make simple sentences but without the text. She looks around the room to generate three sentences that begin with I see.
2. To measure whether she understands how to form a sentence with I predict, she will form three sentences using that model.

VI: Intelligence Inventory
• Linguistic: In this lesson, we focused on developing this type of intelligence because sentence structure and word order are important concepts for ELL’s, especially those with limited CALPS, like she does. She has the BICS to effectively communicate with her peers, but it is disjointed and raw.
• Logical-Mathematical: The repetitive nature of each text allowed her to form relationships and find patterns which helped her construct meaning from the pictures in the text. Using her logical-mathematical intelligence, she was able to approach each page with an understanding of the emerging pattern.