Designing instruction for an emergent reader

Challenge:

Scenario:
I just got back from my third tutoring session, and my tutee loved my activities that I did with her. First I had sentences written out on one sheet of paper from the activities book (ex. I can … I write with … I can see with … I can hear with … I can taste with …) then on another sheet, I had the matching phrases to the sentences (ex. ride a bike, my eyes, my nose, my tongue, a pencil). I had her cut the phrases out of the paper, read the sentences, and then see which matching phrase completed the sentence. She loved doing this because she was cutting, pasting, and learning new vocabulary all at the same time. (The idea came from page 120 of the Claire book) We then reviewed the sentences and drew some pictures to go along with the new vocabulary. We also did another activity where I focused on four letters, and cut pictures out of magazines to correspond with the letters and I had her figure out the beginning sound of each word. All the pictures that represented words starting with “C” would be on one page, all of the “M” words on another, etc. She liked doing this activity because she was able to write the word next to the picture.

Possible Strategies:
Great job on designing these activities. You narrowed the focus of the lesson and using multiple modalities to teach the concept, which are both great ways to focus your instruction with an emergent reader. In addition, check in the middle of Claire’s activity book. There are small cards that show pictures of different verbs and these cards could be useful for your goals. Students also like to play the game “I see something in the classroom that is …. (yellow, round, has four corners, etc). You can adapt the game to the student’s level of proficiency.