Bringing out emotions

Challenge:
Bringing out emotions

Scenario:
Things are slowly progressing with my student. Although she still chooses to be silent, I’ve found that when no one else is looking, she really enjoys reading out loud. I’ve started to introduce every lesson by having her read me a book on that day’s subject. This seems to relax her. I decided to do my last lesson on emotions. I hardly see her smile and thought this would be a good way to discuss different emotions with her. We started by reading A Pocket for Corduroy and I had her tell me what emotion the characters were feeling throughout the story (ie. happy, sad, excited). Next we played a game of Charades using pictures of emotions. It was fun to see her make different faces and I even caught her laughing a few times, which was probably at my funny faces!! We ended the lesson by having her write what emotion she would feel in response to the sentences I read aloud. (For example: When I play with my friends I feel …) Although I still feel frustrated, I think this is a good lesson to do with students who seem to keep their emotions bottled up inside.