3rd-5th: Health

ELD Lesson Plan

Language Proficiency Levels:
Oral: Early Intermediate/Speech Emergence (ELD), Speech Emergence (Krashen & SOLOM), 3 (O’Malley)
Reading: Early Intermediate (ELD), Expanding (O’Malley), Intermediate Fluency (ELRR)
Writing: Intermediate (ELD), Expanding (O’Malley), Independent (DDW)

*** These students are able to ask and answer instructional questions with some supporting elements, listen attentively to stories and identify key details and concepts using both verbal and nonverbal responses, and actively participate in social conversations with peers. They may however be inconsistent with the grammatical forms and sounds. These students are able to use reading strategies, to retell the plot, characters, events, setting, and to apply knowledge of language to derive meaning from the text. These students are able to match their oral language to writing, to use vocabulary that is appropriate to the purpose but sometimes awkward, and to narrate a sequence of events with detail.***

Theme: Health
Grade Level: 3-5
Learning Objectives: The students will learn the characteristics of each of our five senses by participating in sight and sound signal reading, by singing songs, and by creating “sense” charts. The students will practice using their new “sense vocabulary” to further describe experiences in real life situations, to create more detailed responses to questions, and to answer questions with supporting elements.

Connection to other Content: We will make a connection to the area of language arts by reading the book, Puff, Flash, Bang. We will make a connection to the area of social studies by sharing cultural sounds for different things.

Prior Skills Needed to Follow this Lesson: Previous to this lesson, the students will know basic commands such as show me, give it to, please read, point to, explain what that means, etc and they will know the names of basic body parts.

Materials: Activity Sheets, lemon, rose, popcorn, paper body parts, stuffed animal, kitchen tile, picture cards, charts and song sheets

Key Concepts & Vocabulary: sight signals, sound signals, senses, eye, see, ear, hear, smell, nose, feel, hands, taste, tongue and communicate.

Anticipatory Set: (10 minutes)
Draw on the board a person. The teacher then says:
This is a person. (Point to the board) I am a person. (Point to self) You are a person. (Point to each individual student)
These are eyes that help a person to see. (Pick up the paper eyes and place them on the face of the board person) I have eyes so that I can see. (Point to eyes) I will write the word eyes and see. (Point to each word as it is spelled) I can see all of you watching me. Who here can see? (Wait for a response) Student can see. What can you see? Student sees something. **Fill in student and something with actual examples given.**

These are ears that help a person to hear. (Pick up the paper eyes and place them on the face of the board person) I have ears so that I can hear. (Point to ears) I will write the word ear and hear. (Point to each word as it is spelled) I can hear the birds chirping outside. I can also hear the recess bell when it rings. Who hears something? (Wait for a response) Student can hear. What do you hear? Student hears something.

This is a tongue that helps a person to taste. (Pick up the tongue and place it on the board person’s mouth) I have a tongue so that I can taste. (Stick out tongue and point to it) I will write the word tongue and taste. (Point to each word as it is spelled) (Grab a slice of lemon, take a bite, and make a sour face) This lemon tastes sour. Who has tasted a lemon before? Student has tasted a lemon. What else can you taste? Student has tasted a something.

This is a nose that helps a person to smell. (Pick up the nose and place it on the face of the board person) I have a nose so that I can smell. (Point to nose) I will write the word nose and smell. (Point to each word as it is spelled) I can smell the sweet fragrance of a rose. (Pick up the rose and place it to nose) I can smell popcorn. (Pick up the popcorn and place it under the nose) Who smells something? Student can smell. What do you smell? Student smells something.

These are hands that help a person to feel. (Pick up the hands and place it on the board person) I have two hands so that I can feel. (Point to hands) I will write the words hands and feel. (Point to each word as it is spelled) I can feel the soft fur of a cat. (Pet a stuffed cat) I can feel the hard surface of a tile. (Tap the tile) Who can feel something? Student can feel. What do you feel? Student feels something.

Our eyes, ears, tongue, nose, and hands are called our senses. (Point to each as each body part is read) We see with our eyes, hear with our ears, taste with our tongue, smell with our nose, and feel with our hands. We use our five senses to give signals and communicate with other people. Almost everybody has five senses.

Instruction for Activity #1 Sight and Sound: (20 minutes)
The teacher says:
We are going to spend some time learning how we use signals to communicate ideas, thoughts, or phrases without using words. (Teachers nods yes) What am I saying to you by nodding my head this way? (If students need help verbalizing the signal’s meaning, ask questions with embedded answers: Does that mean stop or yes?) That is right! You are seeing me say yes when I nod my head this way. (Teacher puts her index finger to her lips) What does this signal mean? Bravo! You are seeing me say be quiet when I put my finger to my mouth this way. How did you receive the signals that I gave you?

Now close your eyes and listen to what you hear. (Teacher says shhh) Open your eyes. What did you hear? What does shhh mean? Excellent job! Shh means be quiet. Now close your eyes again. (Teacher snaps her fingers) Open your eyes. What did you hear? What can a snap mean? Yes, a snap can mean that a person wants your attention. When you closed your eyes, how did you receive my signal? (If students are confused, did you use your eyes or ears to receive my signal? Which one?)

I would like to share some interesting things about sight and sound signals. We all have different cultural backgrounds. I have a Cuban and Mexican background. Student has a Chinese background. When we are from different backgrounds, our signals may mean different things. For instance, in the United States we shake hands to say hello. In some cultures, people touch noses to say hello. Sound signals have the same thing. For example, in English, a rooster’s sound is expressed as cock-a-doodle-doo, while in Spanish it is expressed as qui-qui-riqui and in Chinese as wo-wo-wo. (Write out the sounds on an overhead with a picture of the rooster) Can someone else share the sound that a rooster makes in his or her culture? (After a few examples move the students to their guided practice activity)

Guided Practice for Activity #1: (20 minutes)
We are going to practice giving sight and sound signals. You will each need a partner. One person will give the signal and the other will receive the signal. The person who is receiving the signal needs to tell the person giving the signal, what the meaning of the signal is. (These directions will be placed on an overhead and kept up during the duration of this activity) Would anyone like to come up to be my partner? We are going to demonstrate how to do this activity. (The student gives a signal and the teacher verbalizes what the signal was.) After the person guesses what the meaning of the signal was, he or she asks, Am I right? The other person will tell him or her yes or no. (The teacher asks if she was right and the student responded) You will take turns giving signals until time has been called. Will someone like to explain what I would like you to do first? What follows? What happens next? How long will you give the signals? (Various students respond, if no one responds say the instructions together) Begin! (Teacher walks around and assesses their comprehension of the lesson)

Thank you for doing such a great job communicating your signals. When we communicate, we let other people know our thoughts, feelings, and ideas and they let us know theirs. Sounds and actions are all ways to communicate.

We are now going to play a sight and signal sort game. (Hold up a picture card with a stop sign on it) Is this a sight or sound signal? Point to your eye if it’s a sight signal. Point to your ear if it’s a sound signal. (Model the gestures). Yes, you are right it is a sight signal. It means to stop. (Repeat the questions for some of the other picture cards)

I am going to place you in small groups. I will then give you a stack of signal cards. You are to do the same thing that we just did together as a class. (Divide the students in groups of various proficiencies and hand out the cards) Please begin. (Walk around the various groups and assess how the students understand the activity and also the content. If there are some misunderstandings, redirect the students)

Instruction for Activity #2 The Five Senses: (20 minutes)
The teacher says:
We have spent some time learning about sight and sound. I now want to talk about the three other senses of taste, feel, and smell. We will use music and popcorn to help us learn about the senses. We learn about the world through our senses: what we see with our eyes, hear with our ears, smell with our noses, feel with our hands, and taste with our tongues.

Let us look at the song, What Can I See? Each of you has a copy of the words and I would like you to follow along either on your sheet or on the overhead as we read it together. Pay attention to how the songwriter writes about the five senses. (Read through the verses together) Now, let us listen to the song. Follow along with your copy and if you would like you can join in singing. (Play the song) Now, let us sing the song together. (Play the song) (The teacher can add gestures to make the song more comprehensible and at the same time more fun. If time allows, play the song one more time) This song leads us to chart making.

(Place a chart #1 on the overhead) We are going to record information about our senses. Everyone, please pull out the chart that looks like this one and place it on your desk. (As they do so, begin to pop the popcorn) What do you see right now? (Wait for a volunteer. Write the name of the thing the student saw and if possible draw a picture of it) What do you hear right now? (Wait for a volunteer. Hopefully, someone will say I hear the popcorn popping) (Continue with questions such as) What do you smell? What do you feel? (Pass out the popcorn and then ask) What do you taste? Great job at being detailed recorders!

Guided Practice for Activity #2: (15 minutes)
Our bodies record just as much information as what is on this chart. Our brain stores all the information for us. I would like you to continue recording information of things that fit under each sense. You can record things that you have seen, heard, tasted, felt, or smelled since you woke up this morning. If possible, I would like you to both, write the word and draw a picture of the thing that fits under the correct column. (Allow about 7 minutes for them to complete their chart) When you are done, please come up to the chart on the board and write a sentence about one thing that you have on your chart. For instance, I drew a desk under see. I will write under See, I see desks with my eyes. (Write it on the board)

(Once the students have finished writing them on the board, begin to share them) Student wrote, —–. Student B wrote, —–. Etc. (Add comments to their sentences)

Closure: (5-7 minutes)
Read the book, Puff, Flash, Bang. As a type of assessment, the teacher can: Point to various pictures and ask what is happening, point to a picture and ask why a person is doing something, ask what the book is about, ask someone to share their favorite signal, or ask someone to point to a picture that relates to a particular sense.

This type of closure calms the students down and requires them to listen. Since they have been exposed to the content, they can now start bridging more gaps in the information that they have received. The responses to their questions will help the teacher measure how much information they retained.

Teacher tells the students that they did a great job!

Additional Ideas:
-Create a story map that accounts for some of the things that the students have experienced so far in that day. For example, first they heard the alarm clock, then they smelled the pancakes, then they saw the sun, then they felt the warm water for their shower, etc…
-Do choral reading with poems that incorporate the senses. For example, have half the class read, Flies and the other half respond buzz. The same for motors-roar, people-snore.
-Do reader’s theatre that will have a variety of sound effects that the students can create.
-Have a poster of an event such as a parade and have the students identify all the sight and sound signals in it.
-Learn about pitch with various water filled jars and try to create music. (Physical Science)
-Learn the hand alphabet and practice making words and phrases. (Language Arts)
Learn about onomatopoeia.
-Show a video and have the students identify sense signals.
-Have the students create a sense scrapbook where they use magazines to create collages for things that would relate to that particular sense.