Summer is here and San Diego is heating up! If you are around San Diego this summer, one of our recent USD grads, Emily Brennan, has compiled a list of activities you can enjoy right here in this beautiful city. Check it out!
- Promised yourself you’d learn to surf? Want to ride bikes or skate down the boardwalk? USD’s Outdoor Adventures can help with that! Here on campus, they have surfboards, body boards, wetsuits, snorkel gear, kayaks, paddle boards, and much more for students to rent. If you feel like going camping, they have tents, sleeping bags, and other camping gear available to rent as well. All in all, Outdoor Adventures is a great resource for getting active!
- If you don’t have access to a car to get the Outdoor Adventures equipment rentals down to the beach, there are also plenty of inexpensive rental companies on Mission Beach offering equipment to meet all of your water and land adventure desires!
- Ever wanted to swim with sharks or explore some caves? Be daring and venture into the La Jolla Sea Caves. You can snorkel or kayak and there are plenty of guided tours that will also help you enjoy the experience.
- Feeling like you’re Ariel ready to meet your Flounder? Swim with the fish and snorkel in La Jolla Cove! There are gorgeous reefs with thousands of colorful fish. Don’t forget, you can rent snorkel gear from Outdoor Adventures!
- Get active and try a beautiful San Diego Hike!
- Explore our country’s largest collection of outdoor murals at the beautiful and historic Chicano Park.
- Gather some friends together, roast marshmallows or hot dogs and have a bonfire in Mission Beach, Mission Bay, or Ocean Beach.
- Take advantage of San Diego’s one of a kind sunsets and have a picnic at Sunset Cliffs.
- Looking to immerse yourself in the rich history of San Diego? Check out Balboa Park and explore the park’s variety of offerings, including 15 museums, free daily park tours, public organ concerts (Sundays), and beautiful gardens (seven of the gardens are free daily!). Also, on the first Wednesday of every month, the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park offers free stargazing! The San Diego Astronomy Association provides telescopes for people to marvel at the incredible stars in the sky.
- Interested in some fresh food and sunny vibes? Check out any of San Diego’s dozens of wonderful Farmer’s Markets!
- If you or a friend has a car, consider cruising up San Diego’s 59-Mile Scenic Drive (or at least part of it) and venture through the unique spots in San Diego!
These are just a few examples of the many awesome, unique things to do around San Diego. College flies by and everyone should take time to play tourist in the beautiful city surrounding our campus. Wherever you are this summer, we are wishing you a wonderful three months full of self-care and soul-feeding activities!