It is my great privilege to serve as the new president of the USD Alumni Association, working with our dynamic board of directors, more than 1,000 alumni volunteers and the Alumni and Parent Relations staff to involve alumni, parents and friends in the life of the University of San Diego.
We work to connect all the members of our Torero family to the university and to each other by creating a wide variety of programs and activities. For alumni, upon graduation, your relationship was just at its beginning stages; your continued involvement is more important than ever. For parents, that relationship likely began with your child’s acceptance to USD, ideally growing stronger over the course of their years on campus. Our Torero family is an integral part of our community, serving in a variety of roles and representing the very foundation of our institution.
As my term begins, I am especially grateful to Heather Dooley ’02 ’05 (MEd) for the leadership she provided during her term as president. Her commitment to USD has been extensive, including service as our representative on President Harris’ Strategic Planning Committee. She has also chaired USD’s Homecoming and Family Weekend Committee as well as the USD Wine Classic, to name just a few of her commitments. Thanks, Heather, for all you have done for USD and our alumni.
Since my graduation from the School of Business in 1997, USD has been a constant part of my life. I moved back to Los Angeles and got involved in regional activities, which led to my first term on the Alumni Board. My professional network has flourished through USD connections. And on a personal note, I was fortunate to meet my wife, Sarah (Wolf) Rodrigues ’99, here at USD.
Looking ahead, this is an exciting time to be a Torero, and I encourage you to play a part in our future. Get involved!
There are many ways to show your support:
- Volunteer: Help with events, read scholarship applications or get involved with your local Torero Club.
- Attend: Check out some of the many events on campus, in San Diego and in our 22 Torero Clubs around the country.
- Refer: Do you know outstanding high school students? Encourage them to consider applying to USD.
- Hire: Participate in our #HireUSD program by hiring USD alumni and offering internships to USD students.
- Cheer: Show off your pride by proudly wearing your blue and white gear and rooting for your favorite Torero team!
- Give: Consider making a gift to support USD student scholars and join thousands of alumni who are taking part in Leading Change: The Campaign for USD.
- Connect: Like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/usdalumni) and follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@GoUSDAlumni).
Please join me in working to create an even stronger Alumni Association in support of our alma mater. Your involvement is critical to our success!
With Torero pride,
Gerry Rodrigues ’97
President, USD Alumni Association