Summer 2016 Class Notes

USD campus

1960s

[1960]

DOMINI COLLINS (BA) lives quietly in Santa Clara. She and her husband stay busy enjoying the beach, friends and prayer groups.

[1964]

DELLE WILLETT (BA) is working on a history video of USD with alumni Walt and Rosemary Johnston.

[1965]

CAROLYN SHAFFER (BA) reports that she moved from Berkeley, Calif., to Ashland, Ore., 10 years ago. “My primary focus these days is on writing a memoir,” she says. “The title gives the gist: A Death Well Lived: How My Husband and I Turned Our Last Year Together into Our Best. My husband of 25 years, Sypko Andreae, died three years ago from leukemia. We faced challenge after challenge and managed to turn each, including the scary and humbling inner transformations, into a creative adventure.” When not writing, Carolyn is rebuilding her private practice, now called The Next You (.net). Her focus is helping others age 60 and over turn their “third act” of life into their best. She also enjoys new volunteer work in grief and loss support. “On the family front, I’m thrilled that I’m able to visit more often with my oldest sister, Pat, whom you know as Sister Patricia Shaffer (of USD renown), now that she has moved to Oakwood on the Sacred Heart Schools’ Atherton, Calif., campus. Now, both my older sisters, Rosemary and Pat, are in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I can visit the two of them when I drive down there to see family, friends and clients.” She added that she and Sister Pat attended Carolyn’s Class of 1965 50-year reunion during the 2015 Homecoming Weekend celebration.

1970s

[1971]

STEVE NASMAN (BS) remembers that during his time at USD, he was the treasurer for his fraternity, Phi Kappa Theta, and also helped with the pledge team. He met his wife, Victoria ’74, at USD and his daughter, Kathryn, graduated from USD in 2003. He now lives in Yorba Linda, Calif., where he is a financial consultant.

[1972]

LEONARD JONES JR. (BA) just returned to the United States after living and working in Germany for 13 years.

CYNTHIA NEDVECKI (MEd) has been an ACT/SAT specialist for 19 years. She has a Doctor of Education in literacy and leadership for K-8 with special emphasis on reading recovery.

[1973]

DALE ANDERSEN (MA) writes, “My dark comedy screenplay, Stanley Ishkhanyan’s Next Big Thing, was an award winner at the 2014 Yosemite Film Festival, the 2014 International Independent Film Awards and the 2014 Williamsburg International Film Festival.”

J. BRUCE CAHILL (BA) lives in Escondido, Calif., where he belongs to LA Fitness and volunteers at Oasis, helping seniors register for classes at the Escondido Senior Center.

[1975]

GILBERT CARRASCO (BA) writes, “My wife, Professor Iryna Zaverukha, and I recently returned from spending a year teaching at Kuwait International Law School, whose dean is a USD graduate. I taught Social Theories of Law, Current Legal Issues and Constitutional Law II to LLM students.”

ROBERT RAINWATER (JD) has a criminal defense private practice in Portland, Ore., called Rainwater Law Group.

SUSAN REDELINGS (BA) writes, “I continue to visit USD regularly as an attendee at Bridges Academy and to lunch at La Gran Terraza. And I haven’t missed an Alumni Mass! The campus is very much one of my soulful places.”

[1976] 

RANDY CARUCCI (BBA) was named vice president of real estate for Pieology Pizzeria. With more than 35 years of experience in restaurant development, and a specialized focus in franchised restaurant concepts, Randy has worked with leading national brands such as The Counter, Panera Bread, Baja Fresh Mexican Grill, Jamba Juice, Cinnabon and Sunglass Hut. At Pieology, Randy’s responsibilities cover all aspects of real estate development.

ALICIA EIERMANN-BRANTLEY (BA) retired after 33 years as paralegal manager at Fulbright & Jaworski. In 2013, Alicia’s son, Benjamin, graduated from USD with an engineering degree.

GARY PADEN (JD) was sworn in for a one-year term as vice president of the California Judges Association.

[1977]

MAGGIE (RIEGELHUTH) LOY (BA) retired from the County of San Diego, planning and public works departments, after 35 years as a biologist and environmental coordinator. She plans to spend time with her husband, Bill.

ROBERT “CHAP” MILIS (JD) retired after a 34-year legal career, much of which was spent as general counsel of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota.

[1978]

JULIE McCARTHY (BA) and her husband, Harold ’78, announce that their son, Thomas, is a junior at USD.

[1979]

ROBERT KASHEY (BA) has taught English as a Second Language for more than 20 years at all levels in all subjects in the United States and overseas, including Japan and Korea. “While (in Japan and Korea), I was able to visit Thailand, the Philippine Islands, Hong Kong and Hawaii several times,” he says. “It was a great adventure.” In the United States, he taught at San Diego State University and with ELS in downtown San Diego. Robert has had students from all over the world. He is also a published poet, with books available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Powell Books. He is often included in the KSER radio program “PoetsWest”​ under the pen name Rayn Roberts, and he organizes and hosts poetry readings.

ADRIENNE LEONARD (JD) writes, “One of my twin daughters is a second-year law student at the University of Colorado. Her sister is a CPA at KPMG in Charlotte, N.C., in the audit department. Their younger brother is an aspiring professional photographer. I’m very proud of all my children!”

1980s

[1980]

MARTIN MATES (BBA) is on a job assignment in Chile, covering all of South America.

JIM VALENZUELA (BBA) has been teaching for 17 years for the Poway Unified School District. He spent 50 days visiting friends in nine states last summer and he shared a nice first birthday with his only granddaughter last year.

[1981] 

PAMELA HERKNER-CHASSE (BA, MEd ’82) is a principal in the Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District. She has worked in education for 34 years — 22 years as a principal and 12 years teaching. Pamela is currently volunteering for Walk With Sally, a cancer mentoring group. She is a 15-year-plus survivor. Pamela’s daughter graduated from Loyola Marymount University three years ago and works for the NCIS: Los Angeles television series as a writer’s assistant.

[1982]

MARK HANSON (BA) is a partner in the law firm of Tomberg, Hanson & Halper, LLC, in Palm Beach County, Fla. Mark is also part owner of Greenwood BBQ in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and he manages Fall to June, a southern rock band with Megaforce Records. Mark and his wife, Wendy, have been married for 20 years and they have two children: Jillian, 16, and Matthew, 14. The family lives in Tequesta, Fla.

RUSSELL PARKMAN (JD) is the director of the graduate accounting program at National University.

ADRIAN ROSAS (BBA) imports pecans from Mexico. He is enrolled in an MBA program with a concentration in marketing at the University of the Incarnate Word.

GARRETT SANDERSON (BA) is working to put two of three kids through college. He is also bicycling (rode the Solvang, Tierra Bella, Grizzly Peak and Marin centuries in 2015 and the Mount Diablo Challenge, and was planning to ride the Santa Barbara century). He enjoyed his 25th wedding anniversary in October 2015.

[1983]

CHRIS GUALTIERI (BA) has an ophthalmology practice in San Diego. In July, he celebrated 25 years as a doctor and 20 years as an eye surgeon. He is active with the USD health careers mentorship program.

ANNE SHILLAM-ASARE (BA) writes that she is “working on living out my values in the atmosphere of Washington, D.C.”

[1986] 

JEFF COOK (BBA) is now Global IT Security Manager at Barrick Gold Corp.

CHRISTINA ROUSH (BBA) writes, “I am excited to announce the relocation and expansion of our Tenaya Creek Brewery into a new 12,000-square-foot production brewery and tap room in downtown Las Vegas. This new facility allows us to expand our footprint into seven western states and two provinces in Canada.”

TERENCE TENNANT (JD) is working and raising a family. He saw Pope Francis in September 2015in Philadelphia.

[1988]

BRANDEE McGINNIS (BA) spends her time on real estate and the stock market. She is also raising three children and plays competitive tennis.

BILL PARROTT (BBA) started an investment and financial planning firm in Austin, Texas, serving individuals in Texas and California. His company website is www.parrottwealth.com.

[1989]

JANET (KRISH) CARR (BSN) and her husband, Rob Carr ’89, announce, “Our children have graduated from college and we are now making plans to retire in Harbor Springs, Mich.”

MIKE CROWLEY (BBA) writes, “USD awoke the entrepreneurial side in me over 25 years ago. Since then, the Access Companies I founded have been blessed with hundreds of great employees and I have been able to give back to the San Diego community. Thank you, USD.”

KEITH FINK (BA) writes, “I was recently elected by the members of the Ocean Beach Town Council to be a member of the OBTC board of directors, the members of which, in turn, elected me treasurer. Subsequent to being sworn in by an officer from the San Diego Police Department at a ceremony in October 2015, during which board members received certificates of recognition for service to the community from San Diego Councilwoman Lori Zapf and U.S. Congressman Scott Peters.”

1990s

[1990]

RICHARD DORN (BA) merged his family business with Wells Fargo & Co. 18 years ago and he has been with Wells Fargo ever since. He and his wife, Erika (a physician), have been married for 16 years and they have three children: Henry, 13; Mary, 10; and George, 8. The family lives in Edina, Minn.

[1991] 

ROY RAPHAEL (BA/BS) is the acquisitions manager/operations director for the Navy Communications Satellite Program Office (PMW 146).

[1992]

ERIKA SANCHEZ (BA) reports that her first novel, Ernestine, was published on Amazon.com.

REBECCA SMITH (MEd) is the new executive director of the Offices of Strengths and Vocation, providing undergraduate career services at Point Loma Nazarene University.

SILVIA VENTURA-JACOBSEN (BA) is the principal of Twin Oaks Elementary School in the San Marcos Unified School District.

[1993]

BRENT HODGES (BAcc) moved back to Phoenix from San Diego to be the superintendent of schools at Scottsdale Christian Academy, where both he and his son, TJ, attended as children. TJ is a junior at USD in the accounting program and on the cross country team. TJ’s mom also attended USD.

CHRIS HOMEWOOD (BA) and his wife, Laura Hale ’92, live in Alamo, Calif., with their 11-year-old daughter, Zoe.

APRIL (CARD) JOHNSON (JD) was promoted to vice president, alternative risk and insurance services, of BETA Healthcare Group.

SCOTT MAXWELL (BA) joined Catholic Extension Society as thedirector of development. Catholic Extension supports under-resourced U.S. dioceses with financial assistance and infrastructure.

JAMES MYLES (JD) writes, “After a 20-year career with the SocialSecurity Administration, the last five years as a supervising administrative law judge in Alexandria, Va., accepted an offer to transition to the same position in the Office of Medicare Hearings and Appeals in Arlington, Va. I still live in Burke, Va., with my wife, Debra, and sons, Jacob, 13, and Lucas, 9.”

THOMAS STORESUND (BBA) reports that he just got married.

[1994]

BRADLEY GERTTULA (BBA) writes, “Just finished my second year at Southwest Airlines as a pilot, based in Denver, Colo. We are enjoying our time in Colorado with our new Jeep on the trails, skiing, hiking and snowshoeing.”

DENNIS HUNT (BAcc) purchased a successful tax and accounting practice after retiring as a military officer and serving in various government finance positions.

LORYN JOHNSON (BA) is the marketing director of USD Auxiliary Services. “Just celebrated my 15th anniversary as a USD administrator!” Loryn says.

KC MARES (BA) writes, “I was lucky enough this summer to compete in the mountain bike national championships and place third, as well as win several significant races throughout the year. It’s great being in the same shape as I was over 20 years ago at USD, and my USD cycling jersey still fits!”

DIANE TRUS (BA) writes, “I am happily married to my husband, Mark, and am mother of two incredible junior high students, Eric and Rachel. I work as a manager of trademarks at Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch, LLP, in San Diego. I am leading a community outreach team at my kids’ school, and recently retired as a Girl Scout troop leader.”

MIGUEL VASQUEZ (BBA) writes, “As a serial entrepreneur, I am always starting up financial technology and social enterprises while mentoring new leaders.”

[1995]

LAURIE KOVACH LOPEZ (BA) has been living and working in Montpellier, France, for the past 13 years.

MARK MAYNARD (BA) was awarded the 2015 Nevada Writers Hall of Fame Silver Pen Award on Nov. 19, 2015. The award, which recognizes writers who are midcareer and have already shown substantial achievement, is designed to honor their talent and encourage other emerging and midcareer writers. Mark lives in Sparks, Nev., where he writes fiction and creative nonfiction.

ANN ROCHA (MSN, PhD ’14) taught in the BSN program at Idaho State University and is now moving to Utah State. She anticipates moving to Utah during 2016.

JENNIFER SAGE (BA) reports that she is “enjoying life with my husband and five beautiful children. Next fall, we will be the nervous parents helping our oldest, Victoria, send out college applications!!! Help! We cannot believe the time is almost here!”

GINA SURGEON (BBA) is now the founder and executive director of Positive FACE, a nonprofit focused on youth excellence.

[1996] 

KYLIE JENKINS (BA) writes, “I live in North County with my husband, Pat, and my two kids, Glenn and Megan. My husband and son are the adventurers. They hike, ski, snowboard, camp and surf together. My daughter and I are the ‘house cats’! She is all girl and has become my favorite shopping and mani/pedi buddy. I keep in touch with a number of friends and sorority sisters from USD. While we may not see each other in person often, we keep up regularly online. I have hosted a number of Favorite Things parties the past several years, which has become a mini reunion for ZTAs. I have had my own stationery business for years and still design, but my business has expanded into blogging, party styling, brand partnerships and brand ambassadorships. I love to hear from old friends so please drop me a line!”

BRIAN ROBBIN (BS) reports that he and his wife welcomed a baby boy, Nicholas, into the world in February 2015.

[1997]

LARRY BALDWIN (MBA) has accepted the position of associate vice president at Molina Healthcare in Long Beach, Calif.

ANNA CHIMOWICZ (BA) writes, “Fighting cancer is a personal vendetta for myself and my best friend, (fellow USD alumna) Jennifer Carey, as both of our mothers were diagnosed with breast cancer and went through mastectomies, and my mother through chemo,” Anna says. Jennifer and Anna founded The Boob Ride, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that raises funds for breast cancer research and education. The charity ride, held every April in Solana Beach, Calif., and Orange County, Calif., is a humorous take on the Tour de France, drawing hundreds of riders each year and thousands in donations. They were featured on the front page of the San Diego Union-Tribune in April 2015 and as part of the newspaper’s San Diegans Who Make a Difference special section on Dec. 25, 2015.

ROBERT FRANCIS (BA) assumed command of USS Lassen, which was forward deployed to Yokosuka, Japan, in May of 2015.

LUIS MASSIEU (BBA) and his wife, Marta, have a new baby girl named Matilda. Luis continues working as founder/CEO of www.apostille.net, a world-leading company in apostille services.

KIMBERLY (YOUNG) STAROSCIK (BA) just moved to Colorado and reports that she is very excited about it!

[1998]

JOHN DAREK COKER (BA) retired from a 22-year-long career with the U.S. Navy.

Robert-Rivas

ROBERT RIVAS (JD) joined Ropers, Majeski, Kohn & Bentley as a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Previously, he was a partner with AlvaradoSmith. Robert (pictured at right) joins the firm’s intellectual property and litigation practice areas, with a particular focus on wine, beer and spirits. A frequent lecturer and Minimum Continuing Legal Education provider on international litigation and wine, beer and spirits law topics, Robert presents at the Annual National Conference on Wine, Beer & Spirits Law, the International Intellectual Property Law Society and Alliance of Alcohol Industry Attorneys & Consultants. He is also a board member for the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach., Calif.

[1999]

STEPHEN AARSTOL (MBA), founder and CEO of Tower Paddle Boards writes, “We were the fastest-growing company in the San Diego Business Journal last year, and in the top 20 this year! As you may recall from a previous article in USD Magazine, Tower Paddle Boards was featured on Shark Tank in 2012 and was invested in by Mark Cuban. Turns out our company has become Mr. Cuban’s most successful in the history of the show and was also recently named as No. 239 in the Inc. 500 fastest-growing companies in America.” The company also was featured on ABC’s Beyond the Tank in January 2016.

STEVEN (ELLIS) ALEXANDRE DA COSTA (JD) reports marrying Jose Antonio, a Brazilian native, in late 2014. He was also promoted to senior legal information and international law librarian, lecturer in law, at Boston University School of Law, where he has worked for four years.

SHERYLL (SHAE) GIVENS (BA) writes, “I recently started up a marketing agency, Wildfire Marketing, LLC, based in Woburn, Mass., just 20 miles north of Boston. Find more info at wildfiremarketingllc.com.”

SCHAFFER GRIMM (BA) is the manager of strategic business planning at the Institute for Technology Advancement, the business development arm for UCLA’s School of Engineering. He works with faculty and students to help commercialize technology developed at UCLA. His main focus is guiding teams in their transition from a university lab into a startup company.

NATALIE KRONFELDT (BA) reports that she and her husband, Lee, had a baby boy named Lachlan, who was born in September 2012. He joins big brother Quinn (August 2008) and sister Eden (March 2010).

VICTORIA RAMIREZ (BA, JD ‘02) writes, “I have been engaging in adult behavior such as buying a house, going to work every day at the Office of the Primary Public Defenders (a job I LOVE), and cooking sensible meals nearly daily. #blessed”

LOUISE STANGER (EdD) has written Falling Up: A Memoir of Renewal. Stanger, who is the former director of alcohol and drug services for USD, is an interventionist, lecturer, professor, clinician and trainer. She says her book “dares the reader to reflect on owning their story as they witness the power that comes when we dare to get back up” and is a “must-read for behavioral health care professionals and those who know the trials and tribulations of having a family.”

KATHRYN (KOHN) TROLDAHL (BA) and her husband, Jeff, welcomed a baby boy to their family, Thomas Jeffrey Troldahl.

2000s

[2000]

AMALIA (RIVERA) LAWLESS (BA) writes, “My husband, Stephen, and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary on Oct. 21, 2015! We were married at The Immaculata. We are overjoyed to also announce that our beautiful baby boy, Jacob Elliot, was born on Sept. 30, 2012. His proud big sisters, Emily (born in 2005) and Leah (born in 2008), think he’s so much fun. Jacob is 3 years old and enjoying his first year of preschool. He loves dinosaurs, soccer and playing outside with his dogs. We’re so happy he’s joined our family!”

MARISOL PRESTON (BA) is the director of admissions at Father Ryan High School in Nashville, Tenn.

NICHOLLE WYATT (MA) is in her 16th year as the head college counselor at Our Lady of Peace High School in San Diego and she completed a two-year commitment as a school counselor representative to the National Catholic College Admission Association.

[2001] 

BRIANNA (BARR) GANSON (BA) bought an Overland Park, Kan., pediatric dental practice, which she named Happy Teeth Dentistry. She and her husband, Troy, have two children, Knox and Brinkley.

FERNANDO REJON (BA) and Sofia (Sanchez) ’02 have been married for seven years. Fernando is the director of the Urban Peace Institute, a Los Angeles-based national social justice organization. Sofia is a business partner/clinical director of TASKids, an Orange County-based service provider for children and families with special needs. They have three energetic young boys: Pakal, Cruz and Santos. Between school, taekwondo and sports, they enjoy spending time with family and friends, including occasional weekend getaways.

CHRISTOPHER SMITH (BA) and his wife celebrated their seven-year wedding anniversary on Oct. 18, 2015. They also reported that their son, Preston, turned 3 on Sept. 6, 2015.

MICHAEL SPENCER (BA) writes, “After eight years as an engineer for the Combined Test Bed at SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific, I have taken a position as a Network Designer at the US Navy Network Design Facility.”

[2002]

DOLLY CHARLES DICKEY (BA) teaches English 9 and Yearbook/Journalism at Southwest High School. She is married and has a 1-year-old son.

PRENTICE LE CLAIR (BA) writes, “I am spending lots of time with family! I’m currently busy at Roemer Industries; our company is expanding domestically and internationally. Finally, I’m getting back to the outdoors with some hunting and fishing. It’s time to get my 4-year-old Sebastian into the great outdoors.”

EMILY ROTH (BA) has returned to USD to work in the Mobile Technology Learning Center as a professional learning specialist, providing personalized professional learning to teachers and district leaders from various school districts, after spending 13 years teaching in international schools around the world (Kuala Lumpur, Abu Dhabi, Guatemala and Trinidad).

DAWN (JOCHUM) TORPIS (BA) moved to England in August 2015.

EBONY TYREE (BA) writes, “I’ve officially completed my family with a second child, born on Feb. 26, 2015. Returning to work has certainly been an adjustment. I currently teach in the USD English Department as adjunct faculty and work full time as an admissions specialist to international students at San Diego Mesa College.”

[2003]

JESSICA BATES (BA) is the Oahu area director for Club Z!, an in-home tutoring and test preparation provider.

KIMBERLY BUCK (BA) has been teaching for 12 years for the Los Angeles Unified School District. She just started USD’s online Master of Education program through the School of Leadership and Education Sciences .

ESMERALDA (SOLÓRZANO) CHRISTENSEN (MA) retired from the Probation Department with 15 years of service as a probation officer. “I have been in private practice on a part-time basis for the last seven years and have been expanding that in the last year,” she says. “I now have two interns and am looking to hire a part time licensed therapist/counselor.”

JJ SKIP LIND (MS) announces that his wife, Candace Eckert ’03, was called to active duty in the Navy to serve as the special assistant for diversity and inclusion to the chief of naval personnel.

DEVON MORAES (BA) returned one year ago from a five-year stay in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to complete the Nonprofit Management Certificate course in USD’s Division of Professional and Continuing Education. Devon is now an English instructor at Kaplan International and a nonprofit management consultant for the California Metabolic Research Foundation.

CAPERA (CLEMENT) NORINSKY (BA) and her husband, Igor, welcomed Capera Nellya to their family on Sept. 23, 2015. Capera reports that big brother Igby, 2, is thrilled to have a little sister! The family lives in Houston.

RYAN STACK (BA, JD ’06) reports that he and his wife, Heather (Barnes) Stack ’04, welcomed a son, Caleb Michael Stack, on Sept. 4, 2015. Caleb weighed 7 pounds,12 ounces, and was just over 20 inches long at birth. Ryan notes that big sisters Lydia and Madelyn are thrilled to have a baby brother.

CHRISTOPHER WILSON (BA) is the associate director of Alliance San Diego, a local nonprofit organization that promotes justice and social change.

[2004]

Rebecca-CarsonREBECCA (CLIFFORD) CARSON (BA) was elected a partner of Irell & Manella in January 2016. A member of the litigation and intellectual property practice groups, Rebecca (pictured at left) works in Irell’s Newport Beach, Calif., office. Named a rising star by Super Lawyers magazine each year since 2013, Rebecca handles an array of commercial litigation matters, with a particular focus on complex intellectual property and general business disputes. Rebecca maintains an active pro bono practice and serves on the firm’s pro bono committee. She also is a board member of PLC Advocates, the junior board for the Public Law Center, a
pro bono law firm that provides access to justice for low-income residents of Orange County.

MEGHAN DONOHUE (BA) moved across the country for a new job at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution with the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. She reports that she married in the fall of 2015.

MELISSA (PADGETT) RAMEL (BA) teaches at Francis Parker School after 11 years with Uni/Cathedral Catholic High School. “My husband, Mike, and I were married in June 2015, and we honeymooned in Jamaica,” she says. “Looking forward to reconnecting with USD through the MENTORero program for former and current student-athletes!”

MICHELLE ROSALES-RUIZ (BA) is now a full-time working mom. She is the office manager for a law firm, and she gave birth to twin boys in May 2015.

MARIANN SANCHEZ (BA) is the new interim coordinator for graduate student life at USD.

LEA TROEH (BA) has lived in San Francisco for eight years and has worked in multiple arenas: large-scale endurance events, national health care nonprofits and local businesses. She says she is very proud of her work as a board member for Eatfresh.org and Leah’s Pantry.

JAYME WYNN (BA, MEd ’06) is a resource teacher in the San Diego Unified School District. Jayme provides professional development to middle school English teachers and works with teachers to enhance their practice.

[2005]

SIMONE ANDO (BBA) graduated with honors from Seattle University in 2014, earning an MBA. She has been working at Microsoft since 2009.

JOSH BESER (JD) was named general counsel at Canary, a smart home security device firm. He lives outside of New York City with his wife, Chelsea, and two boys.

KRISTOPHER CARTER (BA) graduated from his family medicine  residency at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton and will be moving to Yokosuka, Japan, to be a shipboard medical officer.

BRANDON GAY (BA) is now a high school teacher and boys’ basketball coach after a career as a professional basketball player in Europe.

CRAIG HENRICKSEN (IMBA) writes, “After nine years of working in product management for Bose and iRobot in Boston, I’ve taken a new role with a startup in the San Francisco Bay Area, serving as director of product management for Kinestral Technologies.”

MAI-ANH “ANNIE” NGO (BBA) writes, “I am working on my PhD and dissertation at USD-SOLES. I am also an adjunct at Miramar College and do consulting work at a medical device company.”

EDDIE PAJE (MA) is a part-time instructor in first-year programs and full-time Educational Opportunity Program counselor at California
State University San Marcos.

SONYA (WILSON) SPARKS (BBA) reports that she and her husband, T.J., welcomed their first child, Raynor Sparks, last summer. Sonya and the Wilson family also restored the historic Sterling Hardware Building in the Gaslamp Quarter, which reopened as the Sparks Gallery, in March 2015. The gallery, owned and operated by Sonya, features local artists and art events. Sonya was a featured Torero on USD’s alumni web page for a story about starting a business and her experiences at USD.

ALLISON ST. JOHN (BA) writes, “I moved to San Francisco after graduation and 10 years later I’m still in the Bay Area working as a special education teacher. I’ve earned four master’s degrees and three teaching credentials.”

CHRISTINA (BERTSCH) THOMPSON (BA) lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Kyle Thompson ’04, and works as a communications manager for Northrop Grumman.

BRIAN VALENZUELA (BAcc/MAcc) reports that he and his wife, Rosanne ’05 “welcomed bambino No. 2 in April 2015.” The couple celebrated 10 years of marriage in June 2015.

[2006] 

JESSE ANDERSON (BS) says that he and his wife recently had their first child, Kaia Mae Anderson, born in May 2015. The couple bought a new home and moved to Littleton, Colo., in March 2015. Jesse was recently promoted to the position of associate scientist II at Upsher Smith Laboratories.

VALENTYNA BANNER (BA, MA ’09) and her husband, Kelly Banner, welcomed a baby boy, Kruz Antonio Banner, at 11:05 a.m. on Sept. 16, 2015. He weighed 8 pounds, 12 ounces, and was 21 inches long.

BRYAN GEIDT (BA) reports that he married in May of 2015 locally in San Diego. “Our wedding was featured in the Union-Tribune as well as Exquisite Weddings magazine.”

haskell babyJONATHAN HASKELL (BA) and Colleen (Moore) Haskell ’06 welcomed a son, Chip Haskell (pictured at left), into the world on Sept. 11, 2015.

KELLY HUGHES (BA) reports that after graduating and earning her teaching credential, she has been teaching elementary school for the past nine years in her hometown of Benicia, Calif.

KEVIN MEISSNER (BBA) is a commercial real estate broker with Cushman & Wakefield. Kevin exclusively represents tenants.

STEVEN MERRELL (BA) writes, “Last year I was serving as a principal at a Title I Charter School. That school was shut down by the state. I’m now teaching fifth grade at the Weilenmann School of Discovery and designing a K-12 charter school primarily focused on serving low-income students.”

CAMILLE PATERSON (BA) started and continues to grow a successful coaching business, helping professionals to get and stay at their peak performance level.

DAVID PERLEBERG (BBA) reports that he married Andrea Hollander, an alumna of the University of Denver, on July 11, 2015, in Morrison, Colo. David is rapidly expanding his digital advertising firm in Denver. He was recently featured in a Facebook Global Marketing Partner case study for his client, TYME Hair.

EMILY POSTER (BA) lives in Portland, Ore., and works as a spokesmodel/product specialist for Toyota. She travels to all of the major international auto shows throughout the United States.

JENNIFER SCARBROUGH (BA) was promoted to program director at Kids Vision for Life. Jennifer and her husband, TJ, live in St. Louis.

LINDSEY SHERBURNE LITTLE (BA) has been working at Google for more than five years. She and her husband welcomed a son on July 9, 2014.

JoANN (BELLAFIORE) YORK (BA, BBA ’06) reports that she married Tim York on May 16, 2015.

[2007]

GINGER BLACKMON (EdD) is an assistant professor and program chair for the Educational Leadership program at the College of Education, University of Alaska, Anchorage.

JULIA FERNANDEZ (BA) has been working for Heineken USA since 2013 and is now a regional coordinator. She also serves on the board of Wildcard Army, a nonprofit founded in honor of her cousin, Nixon Wildcard Hunter. “We help children and families with medical issues in their time of need, when insurance companies and the government can’t or won’t help,” Julia says. She also returned to Europe with fellow alumna Deanna Villanueva last summer, which marked 10 years since her trip abroad with the USD program.

DIEGO MANZETTI (LLM) reports that he and his wife, Marika, were married in December 2012 and they have two daughters.

CAROLINE (BEASON) MASSEY (BBA) is an attorney with Parker Straus, LLP, in San Diego. She and her husband, Jamie Lewis Massey, recently celebrated the first birthday of their son with Caroline’s parents. Her dad, Chris Beason, received his BBA from USD in 1979.

CARMEN (VALENCIA) McBRIDE (BBA) and her husband, Kevin McBride ’07, welcomed their first child, a girl named Lily, in August 2014.

SARAH (HAHN) MIKSA (MA) and her husband, Wes, welcomed their first child, Mirabel, on May 17, 2015.

SHARON TOLAND (BA) and her husband, Kevin, recently celebrated the first birthday of their son, Jack. She accepted a position at Harris and Associates as project manager in environmental services, where she continues in her career of preparing and managing CEQA documents.

DONNA (CHAVEZ) TRUJILLO (BS/BA) and her husband welcomed their first baby, a boy named Bo Joaquin Trujillo, on Oct 10, 2015.

[2008]

STEFANIE BRYAN (BAcc, MS ’09) has been working in San Diego since graduation and was promoted to audit manager at KPMG, LLP.

BRIAN EVAVOLD (BA) writes, “I am still on active duty and stationed at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) in Springfield, Va., just outside of D.C. I am approaching my retirement date of June 2018 faster than I can realize, making a 25-year naval career. I thank the facility and NROTC staff for all the support in getting this old sailor through the program and graduated in 2008. The best decision I ever made was to be a student at USD.”

ANDREW GERRY (BA/BS) is an instructor for the MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter at HSC-3 North Island San Diego.

JENNA McKNIGHT (BA) says she is looking forward to graduating from USD’s Master’s Entry Program in Nursing in May 2016.

JOANNA PETERS (BA) writes, “This past August, I earned my doctorate (PsyD) from Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University. I just began my postdoctoral fellowship in pediatric neuropsychology at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.”

ALANNA STREI (BA) reports that she transitioned out of the U.S. Navy after seven years of honorable service and is now a Master of Business for Veterans candidate at USC Marshall School of Business. “I’m also an active sales agent at Reef Point Real Estate, helping fellow Toreros and veterans make home owning a reality!” she says.

TERISHA TAYLOR (BA) is traveling for work with the Walmart home office.

MALLORY WATERS (BA) works for a market research firm in Washington, D.C., providing consultation and strategy solutions for more than 30 health care clients across the country.

KIMBERLY WRIGHT (BA) reports that she married Jason Wright ’09 in September 2015 at Charles Krug Winery in St. Helena, Calif. In January, she joined Liberty Mutual’s Workers Compensation Insurance division as an attorney.

[2009]

LOU BARRIOS (BA/BS) is a math teacher in Escondido, Calif.

ELISABETTA COLABIANCHI (BA) returned from serving in Mozambique with the Peace Corps. “I have started a purpose-driven fashion company, Kurandza, that empowers women in Mozambique to earn a sustainable income and provide for themselves and their families!” she says.

HEATHER DIEROLF (PhD) is the director of Springall Academy, a school for students with mental illness and behavioral disorders.

ASHLEIGH LEATHERS (BBA) moved to Orange County, Calif., in August 2013. She is the Orange County Torero Club vice president and says she loves planning the Pageant of the Masters alumni event each year. Ashleigh has been with Bank of America for six years and still works from home for the company’s Attorney Network Firm Management department. “When I am not helping out with my two nephews (ages 4 and 7) or volunteering for various
organizations, I am traveling,” she says. “I was in Hawaii, Napa, San Francisco, San Diego, Vegas, Lake Tahoe this summer, and come 2016, I am off traveling again to the Virgin Islands (British and American), and Thailand with fellow alumna Kori Zornes and Hawaii.”

ARIANNA (CORONA) GROVE (BA) received a PhD in microbiology in May 2015 and is a medical writer in New York City. She reports that she married her husband, Thomas, in November 2015 in Charleston, S.C.

mccarthy-weddingEMILY (QUILTER) McCARTHY ’09 reports that she and Kevin McCarthy ’02 married in the fall of 2015. The couple (pictured at left) met during Orientation Week in 1998 on a harbor cruise around San Diego Bay, during which playing cards were distributed to students and they were told to go “find their match”; Emily and Kevin were each given the Ace of Diamonds. The couple is expecting their first little Torero together in the fall of 2016. Kevin is a senior counterterrorism and firearms instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (Homeland Security) in Brunswick, Ga, and Emily is a GIA graduate gemologist and “happy stepmom to his four kiddos from his previous marriage.”

TOM NASH (BA, BBA) reports that he married Anne Perera ’11 in 2014. They met while studying abroad in the summer of 2009. They live in the South Bay area of Los Angeles and he says they are focusing on their careers while looking forward to starting a family.

SARA MONTES DE OCA (BA) graduated from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, with a Master of Arts degree in journalism and media studies. She is an associate producer for a local, independent television news network and produces a political talk show titled On Point.

JESSICA OURISMAN (BA) writes, “After USD, I moved to New York City and got my master’s degree from Columbia. Since, I’ve returned to San Diego and became a practicing clinician.”

EMILY SALVESON (BA) is a producer, writer and director in Hollywood, and she has a celebrity interview show called Bath Time TV. “Check it out at youtube.com/bathtimetv!” she says.

BRITTANY STRUCK (BA) works as a federal government fisheries
biologist.

SARAH TIRA (BA) and her husband, Patrick Tira ’04, enjoyed a memorable camping trip to Zion National Park in Utah.

[2010]

REBECCA BERNHARDT (BA) is an academic coordinator for Student Support Services at USD, where she works with first-generation students, low-income students, students with documented disabilities and underrepresented students. “I have also just finished up my last year in the school counseling program at the School of Leadership and Education Sciences.”

MICHELLE BOWEN (BA) is an English instructor at Immaculate Heart High School in Los Angeles.

LYNETTE BREWER (MBA) is a contract specialist at SPAWAR headquarters.

MICHAEL COLICH (BBA) is working toward his MBA and Master of Real Estate Development at USC.

VIVIEN FRANCIS (MA) says she has been passionate about art her entire life. With a BA in graphic design, she has worked as a full-time artist creating custom paintings and murals. Her passion for human rights and conflict resolution led her to obtain a master’s degree in peace and justice studies, specializing in conflict resolution. Combining these fields, she develops advocacy projects through the use of art and images, and has worked on programs of cross-cultural understanding between the United States and Mexico. Vivien also founded PiL LOVEtalk, home textiles that she designs and produces with affirmations and empowering thoughts that people can incorporate into their homes. Her overall mission is to contribute to people’s well-being, inspiration and success. Since 2009, Vivien has lived in La Jolla, where she is close to the ocean and nature that inspires her art.

CHRISTOPHER HAYES (JD) was recently promoted to general counsel of the Small Business Investor Alliance (SBIA), a trade association representing private equity funds.

KATHARINE PETRICH HORN (BA, MA ’13) reports that she married John Ryan Horn on Aug. 15, 2015, in a private ceremony in Seattle. Alumni in attendance included Caitlin Ames, who performed the ceremony, and Beth and Bryce Knudson. Katharine is pursuing a PhD in political science at Northeastern University.

YESSENIA MUNOZ (BBA) works in vendor management for 10 call centers for Beachbody, LLC, a corporation that uses direct response infomercials to sell fitness, weight loss, and muscle-building home-exercise DVDs such as Tony Horton’s P90X and Shaun T’s Insanity. “In my free time, I train in a salsa team as well as a world dance company,” Yessenia says. “I am currently training to compete at the Salsa World Championships. The Global Motion Company has given me the opportunity to travel to China and Italy! I hope to travel to Bolivia early next year to volunteer at a school for the deaf.”

EMMANUEL OROZCO (BA) announces: “After nearly five years at Kraft Foods/Mondelez Global as a retail sales representative, I entered the Benedictine formation program at Mount Angel Abbey in March 2015 seeking to serve God in his vineyard of prayer and work (ora et labora).”

ROSLYN WOODARD (EdD) writes, “I am teaching high school students, learning how to play golf and singing! Life is great!”

[2011] 

MEGAN (McGURK) BRABSON (BA) reports that she married Rexford Brabson ’14, an alumnus of USD’s Law School. “We got married July 11, 2015, at Founder’s Chapel by Father Mike,” she says. “It was a dream come true!”

VICTORIA CABOT (MSEL) is a certified implementer of EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System), an operating process that helps business owners gain more traction on their vision and business goals. She is also president of Velocity 6, a leadership development company.

ALANA CALISE (BA) was promoted to infectious disease program coordinator at the Community Research Initiative of New England.

BROOKE EINSPANIER (BA) is a product manager with IBM. She has also been working with Watson to develop new ways to help teachers and transform education.

KIM HOGELUCHT (PhD) writes, “I hope everyone is well. I’ve been busy teaching, writing and presenting at various conferences.” In 2013, she presented a paper titled “Strategies for Student Engagement and Retention in a Business Communication Hybrid Course Pilot” at the ACBSP (Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs) International Conference in Brussels, Belgium, and in 2014, she presented “Unique Business Assignment Fosters Partnerships Between Students and Business Professionals Leading to Internship Offers and Career Affirmation” at the ACBSP International Conference. “To my surprise, I received the award for Best Conference Presentation in 2013 and the award for Best Conference Paper in 2014,” she says. “I think of my USD peers often. I really cherish our many great times of learning and dialogue. I’d love to hear from you. Blessings, Kim.”

LAUREN MUNROE (BA) is in her third year of teaching fifth grade at a public school in Tustin, Calif. “While teaching takes a huge amount of time, energy and patience, I absolutely love what I do,” Lauren says.

ANNA (MORENO) PERKINS (BBA) reports that she was married to Noah Perkins of Cambridge, Mass., in December 2015 in Reykjavik, Iceland.

JENNA ROHRBACKER (BA/BS) writes, “I recently moved to Los Angeles for a new job at Northrop Grumman. I have been working as a structural design engineer since April 2015. I am currently working on the new trainer jet for the Air Force.”

ALEXIA ROSENBERG (BA) writes, “After working as an in-house graphic designer for three years at the Horizon Prep school, I was just hired as a marketing coordinator at the architecture firm, Gensler.”

WILL SCHMIDT (BA) is a senior writer with Tech.Co, currently writing about tech startups and entrepreneurial life in San Diego and the rest of the world. “I’ve covered multiple USD events like the V2 Pitch Competition and have worked with Regina Bernal to cover the young students graduating with companies (YesMan, Alumnify, etc.),” he says.

CAREY (MOELLER) SKAINS (BBA) began working as an ad sales planner for Scripps Networks (HGTV & DIY networks) in February 2015.

KELSI (MYERS) WILKINS (BBA) reports that she married Casey Wilkins ’11 on Jan. 9, 2016, in Everett, Wash. Casey and Kelsi met while studying abroad in Hong Kong during Intersession 2011. “We moved to the Seattle area because Casey works for Microsoft and we absolutely love it up here in the Pacific Northwest,” Kelsi says.

KURT G. WHITMAN (JD) has joined Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP’s Land Use & Natural Resources Team as an associate in the firm’s Los Angeles office.

BIANCA (SALCIDO) WHITTAKER (MS) writes, “I’ve been married for a year to a wonderful man named Kyle Whittaker, who is a California Highway Patrolman in San Diego County. I’m a supervising psychiatric nurse practitioner at the San Diego Metropolitan Correctional Center with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. We had a little girl named Braylin Rose Whittaker in August of 2015 and I’m currently in graduate school: SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology.”

[2012]

MICHAEL BYRNE (BA/BBA) is a financial representative with Capstone Partners in Newport Beach, Calif.

doan-weddingCOLLEEN (TEMPLE) DOAN (BA) reports that she married Peter Doan ’11 (BA, MS) at The Immaculata on June 27, 2015 (pictured at left). The Temple-Doan wedding included more than 20 USD alumni, ranging from the class of 1986 through those expecting to graduate in 2018.

STEPHEN DUKE (MS) is a Lean Six Sigma management analyst at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.

NAVEED FAZAL (BA) graduated from New York Law School with his Juris Doctor in May 2015 and he is now with Citigroup Global Markets as assistant vice president of fixed income compliance in New York.

MATT GIGLI (BA/BS) is a software engineer in the LTE Modem group at Qualcomm.

ANDREW GREGORKA (BA/BS) writes, “I have been working at an expansion joint manufacturing company for the past three years in San Diego. I have just finished my Master of Engineering program through NCSU.”

ERIN GRIMES (BA) received a master’s degree in international relations from the London School of Economics, and is currently a third-year law student at the University of San Diego School of Law.

SONYA JAMES (BA) graduated from Colombia University in December 2015 with a family nurse practitioner degree.

KATIE PEYMAN (BA) teaches English at Notre Dame Preparatory High School in Scottsdale, Ariz.

GREG ROBINSON (MBA) is a first-year PhD student in finance at the David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah.

JAKE SCHULTE (BBA) is working at Kiip, a San Francisco startup. “I started as an intern after I graduated, and over the past three years have developed into the strategic partnerships manager for the company,” he says. “It’s been an awesome ride seeing the company grow and evolve, and living in SF has been incredible (besides the rent … ).”

GABRIELLE TARANTINO (BBA) is in social advertising in New York City.

COLLEEN TEMPLE (BBA) reports that she married Peter Doan ’11 at The Immaculata. The wedding included more than 20 USD alumni.

[2013]

JESSICA BUCKLEY (BA/BS) completed her master’s thesis in mechanical engineering and graduated from the Colorado School of Mines in December.

TONI DeGURIE (BA) writes, “After finishing my two years with Teach for America in Dallas, I moved to San Antonio, Texas, to pursue a master’s degree in higher education administration.”

CLARK FLEMING (BS/BA) was promoted from PV designer, working with residential solar systems, to senior PV designer, working on commercial-scale systems. As a result, he relocated to the Sacramento, Calif., area.

CRAIG FOXHOVEN (BA) is a representative for Guayaki brand Yerba Mate beverage in Boston.

KASSI GRUNDER (MAPJ) lives in San Diego, where she is an assistant regional director at the Anti-Defamation League and founder of Evolution Consulting Group. Passionate about bringing people together for dialogue, Kassi has been facilitating talking circles, mediations, summits and trainings for over eight years. Much of her research has focused on transitional justice and restorative justice. She is active in restorative justice initiatives in San Diego, and in 2013 spoke at the International Institute for Restorative Practices on the topic of masculinity and restorative practices. Previously, Kassi lived in Anchorage, Alaska, where she worked in the realm of social justice, including community planning, education, food justice and combating sexual violence.

LISA HAWTHORNE (PhD) was promoted to dean for the School of Nursing and Graduate Nursing Studies at National American University.

KATIE JOHNSON (BA) finished her duties as a Teach for America Corps member, where she taught 12th grade special education in Chicago. She is in her first year of graduate school, working toward a master’s degree in higher education. “With this degree I hope to go into higher education policy work on a state and national level,” she says.

KIRK LEOPOLDO (BBA) has been an account executive with the San Diego Padres since graduation.

ERIN MARTINEK (BA) writes, “I have been a patrol deputy with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in Hillsboro, Ore., for a little over two years. I am loving it! I am also coaching volleyball!”

ELIZABETH MILLS (BA) moved to Los Angeles after living abroad in Northern England for the past year while completing a master’s degree in conflict, security and development at the University of Bradford.

JOCELYN PAINTER (MBA) formed a venture that developed a new consumer electronics product, the Brio, a shockproof outlet and home safety system (www.BrioHouse.com). She has been involved with this project for almost two years.

MARK RASMUSSEN (MA) works with adult males in a dual-diagnosis treatment facility. Patients live in sober living homes while in treatment, he notes.

LUKE STAGER (BA) graduated in May 2014 from the Owen Graduate School of Management at Vanderbilt University with a master’s degree in finance. He has been a financial analyst with Asurion since June 2014.

COURTNEY STAHL (JD) joined Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld’s Houston office as an associate in the labor and employment practice group.

[2014]

ROBERT BEATHARD (BAcc) is an associate in the assurance practice for PricewaterhouseCoopers.

KYLE CLAPP (BBA) is the Commercial Division Manager for Propulsion Controls Engineering, a full service electromechanical repair contractor that specializes in Naval ship repair. He spends his spare time volunteering at the local VA, helping veterans overcome PTSD.

THOMAS COBBS (BBA) was promoted to project manager of new product introduction within the procurement division of SpaceX.

DANA DOWSE (BA/BBA) works in Washington, D.C., where she focuses on policy research on legislation that affects California.

JORDAN EATON (BA) is an assistant chemist for a biotech company.

TRISHA GARCIA (MS) says, “Was hired by CSA as a senior consultant and division lead, supporting PEO C4I’s Undersea Integration Program Office.”

GARRETT HASBACH (IMBA) is a senior analyst for global cloud strategy at Ingram Micro.

RYAN INSALACO (BA) was hired by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department in October 2014. He graduated from the San Diego Regional Law Enforcement Academy in April 2015 and was sworn in as a deputy sheriff.

BIANCA CRUZ LEONARDO (BA) took a month-long trip to Australia after graduating in January 2014. “I came back with a forever travel bug and a renewed vision on life. I began doing Social Media + Marketing for a few local companies like Bon Affair Wine and Urban Beach House. With a passion for intuitive marketing and unique brand creation, I decided to explore my entrepreneurial tendencies. Just earlier this year, I started my own henna art brand called Wanderlove Creations. Most recently, I’m also the marketing coordinator at PIA Agency, a local creative agency focused on video advertising. I love my creative, active lifestyle and have called Encinitas, Calif. home for over five years now.”

ELISABETH (STEVENS) McCARTHY (MA) reports that she married USMC 1st Lt. Michael McCarthy on Oct. 10, 2015, in Annapolis, Md.

LACEE PAPPAS (BA) is the alumni relations director for St. Michael’s School, where she manages the annual fund in addition to running the alumni association. She is also the seventh-grade religion teacher, the retreat coordinator and the Mercy Corps adviser.

LOGAN PRATT (JD) spent a year practicing corporate law with Alverson Taylor Mortensen & Sanders in Las Vegas and then moved  back to Portland, Ore., to work in-house for Caring Places Management, a company that offers senior care communities in the Pacific Northwest.

KATIE QUAN (BA) is in dental school at Boston University.

BYRON REIMHOFER (BA/BS) is a design engineer at NuVasive in San Diego.

DEBRA ROGERS (MA) is the Southern California relay outreach coordinator for Hamilton Relay, where she educates people about relay phone services to improve communication accessibility for individuals with hearing, vision or speech difficulties.

GINA SOTELO (MS) relocated to Florida this year.

KERRY STANKO (BA) teaches math at the Academy of Our Lady of Peace High School in San Diego.

[2015]

JEFFERY BUSH (BA) is in two master’s programs at George Mason’s School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution. He is a Master of Science (MS) candidate and a Master’s International (MI) candidate. The MI program is jointly administered by the Peace Corps and George Mason University. “Being a part of this dual program will enable me to prepare for Peace Corps volunteer service while earning my master’s degree in conflict analysis and resolution.” Jeffery
has accepted a volunteer position as a secondary English teacher in China beginning June 2016. After 27 months, he will return to George Mason to finish his master’s degree. “This program will empower me with a knowledge base that will allow me to more effectively meet the challenges of navigating community issues of communication, public participation and just governance that will inevitably arise during my field service.”

LISET GODINEZ (BA/BBA) is a member of the 2015 Teach for America Corps, where she teaches sixth grade at the Chula Vista Learning Community Center.

MARIA LLAMAS (BA) is a graduate student at USD, pursuing a Master’s in Education and a teaching credential.

JULIANA LOCKWOOD (BA) entered a master’s program in marriage and family therapy at Northwestern University after graduating from USD. “I have already begun my clinical internship, where I see couples, families and individuals at our clinic right across from the bean in Millennium Park,” she says. “Not only do I see clients in an office setting, I make home visits through our community program that offers free mental health services.” Juliana also participates as a research assistant for the Systematic Therapy Inventory of Change.

CHRISTIAN MARTIN (BBA) works for Street Soccer USA and is a student in the University of San Francisco sport management program.

NICHOLAS REMER (BBA) writes, “Since graduation, I have been focused on building my company and am now transitioning over to the finance sector.”

MIKE TIRA (BA) teaches seventh grade math in the San Diego Unified School District.

KAVIN TJAHN (BBA) is a search-ranking analyst at Facebook.

KIMBERLY WOODBURY (BA/BS) is in the LSG Operations Rotation Program at Thermo Fisher Scientific in Carlsbad, Calif.

In Memoriam

KERRY DINEEN passed away in November 2015. Kerry played on the USD baseball team for three years, from 1971 to 1973, where he was recognized as a three-time NCAA Division II All American outfielder, a two-time Torero team MVP, and the first Torero to make it to the major leagues. After his 1973 season, he was drafted by the New York Yankees and made his major league debut on June 14, 1975. His career, which included a brief stint with the 1976 Yankees team that went on to win the World Series, concluded in 1978 with Philadelphia. Kerry is survived by his wife, Jamie, and his children, Kerry Jr., Cory and Katie; grandchildren; and a sister and a brother.

PATTY (TAMULONIS) FOSTER ’71 (BA) passed away on Jan. 15, 2016. She was 66. Patty graduated from USD with a degree in art, worked in the real estate title insurance business for 21 years and then operated “Joe on the Go Coffee” at Camp Pendleton for 12 years. She was an accomplished artist who loved to paint; she also collected Native American pottery and jewelry. She is survived by her husband of 38 years, Bill Foster; two brothers and two sisters.

PATRICIA WOHLGEMUTH MANEELY ’58 (BA), a proud graduate of the College for Women, passed away in 2015.