USD Alumni Day at the Races

Aug 6
2013

USD alumni watching the races

USD alumni watching the races

Standing outside my home, I can see the lights of the Del Mar Racetrack six nights a week during the summer horse racing season.  Yet, for a variety of reasons and conflicting schedules, I rarely attend.  That changed on Sunday when I joined over 150 USD alumni for a USD Alumni Day at the Races.  The event was sold out, and I can see why. It was a pleasant San Diego day, we had an amazing 6th level venue to ourselves, and the races were exciting, with several photo finishes.

I happily pointed out to several alumni that I was “even” through the fourth race – I hadn’t lost a penny.  Of course I didn’t put down any bets either….

A close finish in the second race

A close finish in the second race

For me, the most fun was seeing many SBA alumni, meeting several I hadn’t met, and seeing a bunch I know from previous alumni events.  I chatted with MSRE alum, Wren Arnett, who works at Ernest Rady’s firm doing major commercial real estate projects.

And a group of undergrad alums, some of whom also earned a USD MBA, including John Thomas, Ryan Hart, and Rakesh Jain.  Then there was a group of 2002 MBA alums who were good friends with each other a decade ago and remain so today.  They reminisced about faculty they loved, courses that challenged them, and careers that have been fruitful and engaging.

Okay, I know these aren't horses, but it looked like a slow motion race to the finish.

Okay, I know these aren’t horses, but it looked like a slow motion race to the finish.

This was the second annual Day at the Races, and it looks like it will be a growing and ongoing tradition.

Tags: , , , , , ,
« Previous Post | Next Post »
  • EssaysWriters

Just read through your new blog… excellent. I am so glad you have
    begun blogging as I’ve always enjoyed your notes and updates. I find
    them warm and positive and very clear. You’ll make a great blogger.

Most
    important is the chance to say that I LOVE Dorothy L. Sayers too, and
    enjoyed all the Lord Peter and Harriet Vane books. What a great name for
    your black Lab.

Thanks for this moment of escape amongst my juggling of slides today!

• Dave Pyke

Thanks for the note. Enjoy!