About Me

Zwolinski-SmithHi. I’m a Professor of Philosophy at the University of San Diego, founder and director of USD’s Center for Ethics, Economics, and Public Policy, and the founder of and frequent contributor to the Bleeding Heart Libertarians blog. I write about the basic income guarantee, exploitation, and the history of libertarian ideas.

My research interests are generally in the intersection of ethics, law, and economics, with two specific areas of focus. The first involves the proper understanding and normative status of liberty and political libertarianism. Lately, I’ve been especially interested in libertarian approaches to defending a Basic Income Guarantee. The second area of interest has to do with the nature and moral significance of exploitation for individual ethics and political institutions.

I currently have two book projects in progress. The first is a anthology of new essays on exploitation, currently under contract with Oxford University Press. The second, Libertarianism: A Progressive Intellectual History, attempts to trace libertarian thought from its origins in figures like Grotius and the Spanish Scholastics to more contemporary figures like Rothbard, Hayek, Rand and Nozick. I am writing this book with John Tomasi of Brown University, and it is currently under contract with Princeton University Press. Both books should be out in 2017-18.

In the Spring semester of 2017, I will be teaching Political Philosophy.