Federal Tax Clinic Helps ‘Second Chancers’ During Tax Season

“Tax law is a complicated area of law that effects everyone. Offering these presentations helps taxpayers to be better informed about tax issues that are relevant to their lives and that may cause potential problems if not reported properly to the IRS,” comments legal intern Joseph Mandry. “I also believe that going out into the community and talking to people, face-to-face, helps our low-income San Diegans understand that there are knowledgeable people who can help at little to no cost.”

Legal intern Joseph Mandry presenting on Tax Audits at the Second Chance program with Law Clerk Natalie Rodriguez.

As part of its ongoing outreach activities, the USD Legal Clinics Federal Tax Clinic provides presentations to the community regarding important tax issues. And as we head into the thick of tax season, these presentations become even more relevant for the low-income San Diegans served by the clinics. On Tuesday, February 2, 2016, the Federal Tax Clinic provided one such educational presentation at Second Chance. Legal intern Joseph Mandry and Law Clerk Natalie Rodriguez provided an informational PowerPoint regarding the federal Statute of Limitations (SOL), tax audits, the appeals process, collections, and the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)., followed by a question and answer session with participants.

“Through giving this presentation, I learned that people are willing to ask questions and share information when they realize that help is available to them,” reflects Mandry. “I also realized that I sometimes take for granted the immense amount of tax knowledge that I have gained through my education.  It is very rewarding to be able to share the fruits from the labor that I have put into my legal education with the community.”

Law Clerk Natalie Rodriguez presenting on tax terms and definitions with legal intern Joseph Mandry.

USD Legal Clinics has long-standing partnerships with many community organizations, including Second Chance. Second Chance creates opportunities for self-sufficiency by providing job readiness training, employment placement, and affordable housing, life skills for homeless and unemployed men, women and youth.

“I’m very grateful to be able to share my legal skills with the community,” adds Mandry. “It’s rewarding to be able to offer my talents to people who would otherwise probably not be able to pay for legal services like those that we offer at the Federal Tax Clinic. I hope to be able to continue helping those in my community who do not always have the ability to pay.”