Clinics Help ‘Second Chancers’ Understand Federal Taxes

“I felt this presentation was especially important considering that we were working with an at-risk population, all of whom were trying to get back on their feet,” comments Federal Tax Clinic legal intern Jordan de la Torre of a recent community presentation. “As I’ve said before, to me the most important function of these presentations is to let people know that they are not alone, that they have someone on their side when it comes to their issues with the IRS. To be able to convey this message to a group of people struggling with other serious issues constitutes a very important service.”

Law Clerk Jesse Livingston presenting on Offers in Compromise (OIC).

USD Federal Tax Clinic’s Law Clerk Jesse Livingston and legal intern Jordan de la Torre provided an educational and informative PowerPoint presentation at the Second Chance Program on October 23, 2014.  “This was my second Federal Tax Clinic presentation and I felt I was able to streamline my delivery of my segment of the presentation,” describes de la Torre. “Also, it’s helped me realize areas of the law that people have the most questions, which also helps me understand where I can focus additional studies, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).”

The presentation included information regarding audits, the appeals process, Statute of Limitations (SOL), collections, and the Earned Income Tax Credit. Livingston and de la Torre also spoke about the services that the Federal Tax Clinic provides to the low-income community, in addition to who can qualify for services, and how to make an appointment.  During the question and answer segment, there were questions about refunds, filing for dependents, and finding out whether or not you owe taxes.

Legal intern Jordan de la Torre answering questions regarding the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

Second Chance creates opportunities for people to transform their own lives by fostering behavioral changes that promote personal responsibility, healthy relationships and positive contributions to society.  They accomplish this through programs that provide job readiness and life skills training, along with job placement, mental health and prisoner re-entry services, relapse prevention and sober-living housing for adults and youth in need.

“I really loved this crowd,” concludes de la Torre. “They were engaged, active, and asked a lot of questions.  Being able to have a dialogue with the audience, as opposed to simply presenting a slideshow was incredibly rewarding, and made the presentation enjoyable as well.”