College essays as genres

Introduce yourself. That’s the first step to any college essay. You have to present yourself as an individual. Stand out from the crowd. Be proud of your achievements, but humble in your presentation. Describe yourself as a great student, one who works hard, but always has time to effortlessly juggle volunteer efforts, sports, and extracurriculars. Never let them know how hard you worked to get to where you are, make sure it seems effortless. Talk about your accomplishments, and if they aren’t as impressive as you would have liked, don’t be afraid to embellish. These are just some of the things to include in your essay.

College admission boards want to see well rounded students. They want teenagers who know exactly why they want to go college and exactly what they want to do with their lives. Make sure to emphasize that your goals revolve around getting a stellar education and using that to grow as a person. When explaining why you want to attend a particular school, don’t mention what they can do for you, rather subtly explain to them all of the qualities and attributes that you will bring to their campus (use information from schools’ websites to find all of the qualities you should have).

Now make sure that your essay is flawless. Anything less than perfection will not do. Spend your time before the deadline rereading everything. Remember your grammar, your syntax, your rhetorical purpose, your tone, and your presentation. Always remember, your essay should be easy enough to change so that it will fit into the thousands of prompts that you have to write for each other college you applied to, because who has enough time in the day to write a new essay for every single supplement- especially with your busy schedule of being a super student.

2 thoughts on “College essays as genres

1. Emilie, I love the approach you took when writing out this piece, it is perfect list and explanation of writing college admissions essays that anyone could relate to, but I want to learn a little more about your personal experience, not just a general overview of what the process is like .Try to include personal details that you may have experienced or felt during the undertaking of your college admissions essays. Also, try to relate your piece to how writing college admissions essay is a genre itself.

2. Emilie, I liked how you started your essay with an eye-catching phrase: “Introduce yourself.” When you said that students shouldn’t be afraid to embellish their essays, I laughed a little because I know I did and many other students probably did too. I feel like many students can relate to and understand all of the things you talked about. Your essay was very straightforward and direct. You were almost like a teacher telling a student exactly how to write an essay, in fact you probably could’ve taught a class on how to write these types of essays (haha). However, as good as this essay is, I feel like you could have included more information on the genre of college admissions essays. Overall, it is a strong, detailed essay.